Are there any drinkable canned cocktails?
ALL canned cocktails are drinkable, some only once.
Premix cocktails are disproportionately marketed to young drinkers – gateway booze, if you will, as the likes of Bacardi Breezer pineapple was for me – and often have a one-note, cloying taste.
My own favourites are Moth margaritas and M&S margaritas.
Perhaps more than any other theme, writing about premix cocktails has made me confront the very question of why we drink alcohol. Take me as an example.
Twenty-five years on, and my palate is a different place, and I welcome the notes and nuances of a well-mixed drink. I now drink alcohol to savour it, and I like what I’m drinking to give me pause; it doesn’t need to be hard work, but I do like it to make me think.
Why did you drink it before, then?
That’s not to say there aren’t premix cocktails out there that can do this, and I tasted several that I found interesting. The Reina Mezcalita in today’s pick, for instance, is delicious – smoky mezcal meets zippy lime soda – and I’d happily sip it from the can in the park or, even better, from a glass rimmed with Tajìn at home. Whitebox and Moth both produce good iterations of premix drinks (and in reassuringly small, potent formats) and are widely available in supermarkets; they feel a bit more grown up, too, both on the sugar front and because their ABVs skew higher, which you can taste (in the premix realm, quality seems to align with a higher ABV).
Must admit to always adding a little extra tequila to mine, so I guess it could be higher.
Marks & Spencer has the widest own-brand selection, some of them better than others, but, on the whole, its premium Served range has more character and acidity (a good thing) than you’ll find elsewhere – I enjoyed the mojito and the lychee martini especially.
Hmm, might try the martini, if I ever see it in my local branch.
The Grauniad reduced to exploiting thinner and thinner seams of 'news'.
ReplyDeleteBuy tin lychee. Eat lychee. Mix splash lychee juice with velly cold gin. Lychee Martini. 😁
ReplyDeleteThanks for this. My shopping list updated.
DeletePenseivat