Wednesday 1 December 2021

Musical Interlude - December:"I know, I know. We are Your chosen people. But, once in a while, can't You choose someone else?"

Well, this is the final installment. We'll finish up with what is probably my favourite musical of all time. 

And surprisingly, something about it always says 'Christmas' to me, despite it not being anything about Christmas at all. It's 'Fiddler On The Roof'. An amazing film, with perhaps the perfect casting in all roles. Yes, even Paul Michael Glaser! 

It was harder than any other entry to pick a favourite song from this one, there's not a dud in the bunch. But it has to go to the sublime 'Sunrise, Sunset' montage: 


I had to pass on a few classics - 'Carousel' for one - and there's musicals that haven't been filmed that I'd love to see make it to the silver screen, principally 'Windy City', an 80s version of 'The Front Page' that had a criminally short West End run, or the amazing Tom Jones vehicle, 'Mayador', that had an even shorter run. 

Now, what to do for next year?

2 comments:

The Jannie said...

I'm not one for name dropping but my dad's cousin Bobby Stevenson was one of the dancers in the film of Fiddler on the Roof. He also choreographed the stage show of Oh, What a Lovely War. IMDB mistakenly attributes his work to an American actor called Bob Stevenson.
End of exercise in hand waving!

JuliaM said...

"..my dad's cousin Bobby Stevenson was one of the dancers in the film of Fiddler on the Roof."

Oh, wow! That's a real claim to fame - it may be apocryphal, but the engagement dance-off scene between Tevye's party and the Russian cossacks is supposed to have been filmed in one take.

Astonishing if true!