Monday 14 December 2015

Maybe If He’d Done Something Worthy Of Respect..?

In tearful evidence to the court, Donna Daniel, who became Mr Best's foster mother when he was 15, said she had taken the case to court because both trusts had refused to apologise.
She said: "We thought James deserved respect and dignity.
"For a decade of my life I worked as am NHS complaints manager. A lot of my work was with bereaved families and we always treated them better than we have been treated."
Owen Daniel, Mr Best's foster brother, added: "We are really looking for an apology for the shocking shortcomings that were highlighted at the inquest.
"We are not looking to change the world or make loads of money. We are just looking for a bit of respect for James."
Oh, dear! Seems the NHS has let down yet another blameless person relying on…

Oh. Wait.
Two NHS trusts breached the human rights of a Croydon man who died in prison weeks after being arrested for stealing gingerbread from a looted bakery during the 2011 riots, the High Court heard.
Ah, if only there was some way he could have stayed out of jail

3 comments:

Ted Treen said...

The strenuous gym session is something I always try, and usually manage, to avoid. I HAVE been to a gym (once) as a visitor, but the only machine with which I felt comfortable was the one in the entrance, which sold Mars Bars and Kit-Kats.

Umbongo said...

"Nancy Collins, a solicitor at Irwin Mitchell, which is representing the family . ."

I think that underlines the moral morass of this item of news. Reading between the lines, it seems to me that the family are going for "substantial damages" for the perp's demise financed under a "no win no fee" arrangement by the well-known ambulance chasers.

The NHS may indeed have some kind of responsibility here. However, rather than seeking financial recompense and a meaningless apology, if the death was avoidable as they claim, the family should expose and name the person(s) directly responsible for the perp's death and get them sacked. Given a choice though, apparently they prefer to stiff the taxpayer.

JuliaM said...

"...but the only machine with which I felt comfortable was the one in the entrance, which sold Mars Bars and Kit-Kats."

:D

"I think that underlines the moral morass of this item of news."

I wonder how she sleeps at night. But then I reflect, probably on silk sheets.