The devastated mum of a newborn baby says she has lost everything she owns after her flat was gutted by a fire.Sometimes a story comes along that just melts my flinty heart. But, reader, this is not that story...
Alice Powell, 27, heard her sister scream "fire" at their 12th floor flat in Kale Road, Erith, early on Sunday (December 23) morning. Her sister was staying with her seven children and Alice was feeding her nine-week-old baby when the fire started.Wait, what? How many children?!?
"We grabbed every child we could and left the flat," the distraught mum told News Shopper.
Alice, who also has a three-year-old, is now staying with her sister and the nine kids in a one-bedroomed Travelodge hotel in Bexleyheath.
They will be forced to live in the cramped conditions until December 27.I can't see that 'cramped conditions' in the hotel are going to be much of a problem, compared to the flat!
"All my paperwork and all my baby birth documents are gone. My kids are devastated. They think Santa won’t know where they are.
"What am I going to say to them tomorrow when they wake up? There is nothing, all their presents are gone."
Alice, who has lived in the flat for two years, started a fundraiser, which she says she was embarrassed to do, so she can buy the kids a Christmas present.I think clothes are more important, no..? And what started the fire, I wonder?
Firefighters say items placed on a hob caused the fire. Another GoFundMe page has also been set up to help the family.Can't the fathers assist?
Silly me! What am I thinking?