Wednesday 3 March 2021

Musical Interlude - March:"Well, this is new, respect for Caesar! 'Till now, this has been noticeably lacking! "

 A little bit of Israeli sunshine to brighten March, and this month it's Norman Jewison's bizarre adaptation of the Rice/Lloyd-Webber musical 'Jesus Christ Superstar'. 

It's safe to say this version, filmed 'on location', of sorts, and not really in costume, has mixed reviews. Ted Neeley, the original Broadway Jesus, received a Golden Turkey for his rather wooden portrayal of the title character.

The show has many great memorable numbers, but this is my personal favorite, though not the most well-known number by the incomparable Yvonne Elliman:

Over Christmas, Sky Arts showed a special 'Live in concert' version with John Legend and Alice Cooper that's well worth catching.

3 comments:

Dr Evil said...

I saw the one with David Essex as JC back in around 1972 or there abouts when a student. Excellent show as I recall.

Just Trevor said...

I remember seeing the film when I was about 10, I think. "Jesus Christ Superstar, wears frilly knickers and a Playtex bra."

JuliaM said...

"I saw the one with David Essex as JC back in around 1972 or there abouts..."

I thought it was due to make a West End return a few years ago, but I don't think it ever materialised. Pity.

""Jesus Christ Superstar, wears frilly knickers and a Playtex bra.""

🤣