Tuesday 4 May 2010

I'm Not Fond Of My Job...

...but I'm often reminded that there are far worse jobs out there:
Earlier, defence barrister Robert Bryan urged leniency in sentencing, saying his client would have to resign from the police and had split from his wife because of the stress of the trial.

Apologising to Miss Keating's mother and father in the public gallery, Mr Bryan then said: 'I will remind your honour of a piece of evidence from an expert witness during the trial.

'It is easier for a pedestrian to see a car than it is a car to see a pedestrian.'
Hmmm, yes.

Next time I'm irritated by some nonsense on the company website, or forced to sign off a piece of work that isn't really ready for release because it's wanted quickly, I can at least thank my lucky stars I'm not a barrister, having to think up ever more outlandish and outrageous excuses for the waste of oxygen standing in the dock...

5 comments:

Uncle Marvo said...

The word "cunt" was invented just for the copper, I think.

I have no regard for the legal system as it is. It sucks donkey balls.

I will continue to carry on despite it. Sadly that means I can't have a house or anything, but the advantages outweigh massively. I can be free of the guilt of living inside that corrupt system.

JohnRS said...

"have to resign from the police.."

Presumeably because the Gumbies who run the police wouldnt have the gumption to fire him if he was found guilty?

Angry Exile said...

I'm with the defence barrister on this point.

"It is easier for a pedestrian to see a car than it is a car to see a pedestrian."

I said something similar a few years back to someone who'd walked out in front of me and said they hadn't seen me, though I think my exact words were more like, "It's sixteen feet long and bright red - how the fuck could you miss it?" The bottom line is that it's in the interests of all road users to watch out for each other, and pedestrians and cyclists etc are road users too. The more militant of them like to remind us of that annoyingly often, but they seem to forget that that works both ways.

Having said all that I think the bastard should have to serve every day of his three year sentence and ought to have got a damn sight more. Not only is causing death by dangerous driving an extremely serious offence but in his position he should have been setting a better example. Add that to the attempt to cover up his use of the phone (perverting the course of justice? if not why not?) and you'd think he should have got more than that.

blueknight said...

If he is a special he is not a regular Police Officer but one who comes in to do a few hours at weekends and evenings. He will be 'sacked' but it is not a paid job.
His paid job appears to be civilian Crime Scene Investigator. He may be employed by the Police Authority - but that does not make him a Police Officer

JuliaM said...

"I have no regard for the legal system as it is."

And more and more of these news items means less and less people do...

"Presumeably because the Gumbies who run the police wouldnt have the gumption to fire him if he was found guilty?"

Well, look how long it took them to get shot of Ali Dizai!

"I'm with the defence barrister on this point."

On the pedestrian/car interface quuestion, yes, he had a point.

"If he is a special he is not a regular Police Officer..."

No, indeed, but the headlines always, ALWAYS say 'police officer' and leave the detail to halfway down the page.

It's almost like it's deliberate...