Monday 3 May 2010

What The Ambulance Service Has To Put Up With...

A drunk woman who dialled 999 for an ambulance outside a nightclub because she felt cold flew into a rage when hospital staff told her there was nothing wrong with her.
Nothing physical, anyway...

She then screamed racial insults at the staff and when police turned up to remove her, assaulted them too.
'In hindsight, it was wrong to do what I did, but I'm trying to forget about it. I just lashed out at the officer - I didn't mean it and it was only because of the drink.'
Let's hear it for that demon drink, which makes perfectly normal, sane individuals behave totally out of character. At least, so magistrates seem to think...
Adams, 46, escaped an immediate prison sentence after pleading guilty to charges of racially aggravated threatening behaviour and police assault, when she appeared before Manchester magistrates.

District Judge Paul Richardson branded her behaviour ‘appalling’ and gave her a two-month jail term, suspended for a year.
That'll teach her...

Oh, well, it's not like it was her fault (that evil, evil alcohol, you see, administered to her in secret without her consent), and she's really sorry, after all:
Martin Cunningham, defending, said his client had problems in her life and was ‘crying out for help.’

He said: 'She is very sorry for the police assault and has shown genuine contrition.'
And she's of previous good charact...

Oh:
The court heard how she had appeared in court for a similar incident in 2007 when she racially abused three Asian women at Manchester Royal Infirmary.

8 comments:

Jeff Wood said...

Since when did drunkenness become a defence again? Admittedly, it was once.

However, I have understood ever since I got a driving licence - which wasn't yesterday - that if I caused an accident while under the influence, then being drunk was not a mitigating but an aggravating factor: take more time in jail.

English Viking said...

What a babe!

Trevor said...

My thoughts exactly, English Viking. A 'confirmed bachelor' until now, I can feel myself on the turn.

It's safe to assume that the nightclub that admitted her was not Studio 54. It either has a relaxed door policy or was holding a 'Face like a trod-on chip' theme night.

Angry Exile said...

I surprised someone hasn't blamed both the brewery and whoever served her the drinks.

Anonymous said...

And I'm still living down the embarrasment of calling an Ambulance because I had a heart attack. Yes, I know that it ultimately was necessary but I still felt a fraud in the Ambulance. So you are cold, put a coat on or let evolution take its course.
Michael :)
(Is the word verification a message? smong...)

microdave said...

I rarely drink these days, but wasn't averse to getting somewhat merry when I was younger. But that didn't make me go out and assault others, and then blame the drink.

Indeed if there was the slightest chance of the Bill being around it made sense to be on best behavior. I sure as hell wouldn't have insulted them. On the rare occasions when I did find myself being "spoken to", swallowing my pride and being contrite usually got me off with nothing more than a bollocking...

JuliaM said...

"It's safe to assume that the nightclub that admitted her was not Studio 54. It either has a relaxed door policy or was holding a 'Face like a trod-on chip' theme night."

Ah. There wasn't a photo with that article when I first read it. I see there is now. *gulp*

"I surprised someone hasn't blamed both the brewery and whoever served her the drinks."

Give them time...

"On the rare occasions when I did find myself being "spoken to", swallowing my pride and being contrite usually got me off with nothing more than a bollocking..."

In those days, you weren't worth a point in someone's stats, though.

The Great Simpleton said...

'In hindsight, it was wrong to do what I did, but I'm trying to forget about it.

Now where I have heard that before, let me think....ah, yes that was it -

"Yesterday was yesterday. Today I want to talk about the future of the economy."

And how else does it go when anyone in authority screws up? We always get the immortal words:

"Lessons have been learned, moving on....wibble, waffle, wibble"

If nobody in authority ever takes responsibility for their mistakes how do we expect the average person to,whether alcohol is involved or not?