Sunday 21 October 2012

Tom Bensted - 'Big Society' Candidate

"First of all the police came along towards Round Hills. They stopped at the lights there and turned around and drove off," he said.
"They came around 15 minutes later, pulled up and asked what I was doing and why I was doing it.
"They said 'you shouldn't be doing that' and I said 'what else is supposed to happen?'
"I guess I'm not supposed to direct traffic - I haven't got the training."
The officers told the former Davenant Foundation School pupil they would 'make some calls'.
"They made some calls and then they drove off," he said.
"I guess they hadn't got the training either."
Heh! That just about says it all, doesn't it?

3 comments:

SadButMadLad said...

Love the comments in the linked article.

I myself have helped out motorists in a similar situations (plural). I turned round the lights or opened the access panel and turned them off. I was probably breaking the law like the teenager was with criminal damage in my case. But life is not black and white, nor is the law. Which is why the police in this case did the right thing and left him to it.

People like cornbeefur in the linked comments are the ones who bring society down with strict enforcement of rules with no leeway allowed. No commensense allowed. No taking into account situations that the law never thought off and working around it. He also probably prides himself on being politically correct.

JuliaM said...

"Love the comments in the linked article."

They are very revealing, aren't they? One can only hope there's not as many combeefur's around as it sometimes seems.

Kevin said...

"... would have... "
"... probably..."

In other words, "we're sort of embarrassed about it but we're not really supposed to say anything because we haven't been on the Talking To The Press course yet."