Despite fire safety leaflets being sent to residents, many were not aware their flats were made fire-proof for up to 60 minutes thanks to these new front doors. As a result, those on the ninth floor tried to escape rather than remain in their flats when the fire took hold.*sighs*
Miss Chitiga added that she would have done the same thing as Mrs Abrey and leave the flat and feels the council should have done more beforehand to inform people.What do you want them to do, come round and read them to you?
She added: “I think you have to take advantage of every opportunity to educate residents about new developments."Perhaps a pop quiz on the fire safety procedures, followed by eviction for failure?
However Mark Flewitt, councillor for housing, planning public protection, spoke on behalf of the council contractors and said residents were written to and meetings were held about the doors.
He said he has spoken “at length” to estate managers South Essex Homes (SEH) and showed the Echo leaflets handed out to new tenants from January 2016 that includes advice to remain in flats in case of fires in communal areas.You're wasting your breath. Some people think everything's the fault of someone else.