Tuesday 25 October 2016

'A Gift' Is Something You Don't Have To Accept, Isn't It?

The 82-year-old said: "The hospital gave us no explanation whatsoever. It made me very angry and disappointed.
"They took a whole year to carve. The wood was donated to us for nothing, all as a gift to the people of Oxfordshire. We are proud of what we have done.
"It's getting on for 10 years later and there is no recognition. I think we at least deserve an explanation; it's courtesy. After all that hard work, we have been dismissed."
 Maybe if no-one wants then, that should give you a clue?
In June the county council reassured the Oxford Mail that the carvings would be put up, and has since offered to display them in the Common Hall at County Hall – a cafe only open to the public if visiting on council business.
Mr Eastoe said: "We were very disturbed that they made no effort to get them elsewhere. I said we were not satisfied with the cafeteria, where the work would be seen mainly by staff rather than thousands of people.
"These were carved as a gift to the people of Oxfordshire."
Seems as if the people of Oxfordshire's response is 'Oh, yes. Very nice...' *under their breath* 'Gawd, where are we going to put these damned things?'

We've all had those sort of gifts, haven't we?

3 comments:

Lynne at Counting Cats said...

The things are clearly infested with Dearth Whinge Beetle.

Andy said...

I learned to never, ever give art as a gift. It's wrong to assume that the recipient appreciates it as you do. My ex gave me a Lowry print for Christmas, it just had to be hanged (or is that hung? People get hanged). Lowry depresses me, while those wood carvings didn't look too bad, actually.

JuliaM said...

"The things are clearly infested with Dearth Whinge Beetle."

LOL!

"I learned to never, ever give art as a gift. It's wrong to assume that the recipient appreciates it as you do."

Oh, true! I've lost track of the 'Here, you like animal prints' I've exclaimed over then quietly 'retired' to the loft because they were so poor, I was unsure of the species depicted!