Saturday 23 June 2018

Learning Every Lesson Except The Most Important One...

...self control:
We all know how social media can be distracting. You pop on to Facebook for ‘five minutes’ and before you know it an hour has passed.
So Andreea-Denisa Ciubotaru, 16, from Barking, got her headteacher at Eastlea Community School in Canning Town, to lock her phone away for a month so she could revise for her GCSEs without being tempted.
As a result her predicted grades have shot up from Cs plus to As.
She knows how distracting it can be, she knows she should concentrate. So why doesn't she know that handing that decision over to someone else is the wrong thing to do?
She said: “Everyone knows how addictive your phone can be. I have told all my friends to do it.
If I had tried to keep the phone at home I know I would have pestered my mum to give it to me so it had to be somewhere I knew I couldn’t get it.”
Another millennial prepares to enter the world of work with no ability to exercise the most basic of human traits. It doesn't bode well, does it?

6 comments:

James Higham said...

Wonder if there was a father in the home.

Hector Drummond, Vile Novelist said...

And she's probably one of the better students in her class.

Stonyground said...

I think that you are being a little hard on this one Julia. What she did was quite commendable I would have thought. She showed some self awareness for one thing.

Anonymous said...

She’s Romanian.... so holding her out as an example of English millennial might not be wise. She might actually be more sensible and driven and not sheltered.

Anonymous said...

She's a bit young to be a millenial. More like a centenial.

JuliaM said...

"Wonder if there was a father in the home."

Probably. Her's, or someone else's!

"And she's probably one of the better students in her class."

Depressing thought.

"What she did was quite commendable I would have thought. She showed some self awareness for one thing."

She recognised the problem, yes. But then she expected someone else to take responsibility for it.