Monday 15 April 2024

Attract Better Readers, Joanne...

The Chocolat author, 59, has suggested that all books could include trigger warnings 'as standard' in the copyright page so that readers know what to look out for before they start reading.She has said introducing a new policy would 'make a lot of sense' as trigger warnings are like 'wheelchair ramps' in that they exist 'because some people need them.'

No, not at all. You're confusing 'want' with 'need'. 

Ms Harris, whose prequel to her best-selling novel will be released next year, ran a social media poll to ask her followers if they agreed with placing trigger warnings in the copyright pages.

Ah. That's what this is about. The age old reason for something contoversial: "I've got a book to flog!" 

She added that she didn't believe the warnings should be for 'things people might disapprove of (eg: swearing, etc)', rather thing that 'make them feel unsafe.'

What sort of book can ever make you 'feel unsafe'? 

5 comments:

ivan said...

Sticks and stones may break my bones BUT bad words can't hurt me. Why are people so stupid today?

Longrider said...

There are no trigger warnings in my books and there never will be. She can do one.

Lord T said...

I feel unsafe when I read long words I don't understand words so she made better make this list comprehensive or I'll be outing her intolerance for people like me.

Steve said...

I would suggest that there is one valid trigger warning, and that is contains adult material.

JuliaM said...

"Why are people so stupid today?"

It's by design, I suspect.

"There are no trigger warnings in my books and there never will be. She can do one."

Glad to hear!

"I feel unsafe when I read long words I don't understand words so she made better make this list comprehensive or I'll be outing her intolerance for people like me."

Heh!

"I would suggest that there is one valid trigger warning, and that is contains adult material."

But only if you're writing for children.