Friday 3 July 2009

It’s The Right Attitude For Once, Mark…

The BBC has been accused of being stuck in a '1950s mindset' and portraying women in passive or 'fluffy pink' roles.

Equal opportunity activists claim the corporation has failed to properly implement legislation aimed at driving out inequality from the workplace.

They have pointed to children's programmes in particular, claiming the young girls that are watching are exposed to too many examples of weak women.
You’re kidding me?

Virtually every new BBC drama has a cast that looks like an advert for the UN – a full complement of strong females, gays and ethnic minorities. In fact, pretty nearly everything now looks like ‘Torchwood’.

And still these harpies aren’t satisfied:
There are also claims that females are represented as stereotypes, including in what they wear, on many programmes for youngsters.

Characters such as Upsy Daisy from the hit children's show In The Night Garden have been accused of being overly-feminised.
Ahem. This is Upsy Daisy:


That’s right. A rag doll…thing. Not even a real person. I didn't even know it was supposed to be female.

These womyn have lost their minds…
Critics say service provision should include the BBC's programmes.

Katherine Rake of the Fawcett Society, which campaigns for sexual equality, was reported saying she had met BBC director general Mark Thompson but his attitude to gender duty was 'grudging'.
Suddenly, I don’t begrudge paying my telly tax quite as much as I did before…

7 comments:

staybryte said...

What the hell is the Fawcett society? How does it get funded? How come these busybodies get to lobby the head of the BBC and push their self-serving agenda?

Dmitri the Impostor said...

I was once on a plane to India and some American oaf turned to his turbaned neighbour and said,

"Say, buddy! Do they have mixing fawcetts in the hotel bathrooms?"

The Sikh smiled politely and feigned ignorance of the language being spoken.

The septic shrugged and opened his Fodor's guide to India which promptly split down the spine.

North Northwester said...

"Characters such as Upsy Daisy from the hit children's show In The Night Garden have been accused of being overly-feminised. "

My God but she's hot!

If I wasn't already committed to the humiliation and oppression of women to provide cheap labour and to keep mens' wages down and break strikes, I'd STILL want to live in a Britain where cuties like this can grace our screens.

I want a divorce and the name of her dressmakers so I can invest in their company and make a stock market killing.

Mark Wadsworth said...

Staybrite, I've answered your question here, if you're interested.

Interestingly, the Society named itself after the delightful Farrah Fawcett.

NNW, Upsy might be a looker, but conversationally it's all just her squeaking 'Upsy! Upsy Daisy!", which starts to grate after a few seconds.

Ross said...

Mark, your link doesn't work.

Organisations that strive for equality should really disband once it has been achieved because otherwise they end up ever more whiny and self pitying as they protest against imaginary persecution.

staybryte said...

OK Mark, I went to your blog to investigate and I do appreciate the response.

Now, it may have been a stupid question, but it was kind of rhetorical. Perhaps I've been asleep for the past couple of decades, but the influence (in the true sense of the word) wielded by these fake charities, QUANGOS etc has only begun to truly dawn on me quite recently.

Would anyone agree with me if I was to describe them as a "state within a state?"

Rob said...

These freaks won't be happy until every TV programme shows women abusing men with baseball bats.

This sort of ridiculous social engineering is one of the reasons why I, and many others like me, no longer watch TV at all.