Tuesday 1 February 2011

John Barry 1933 - 2011

Sad news yesterday morning of the passing of one of the greats of film soundtrack composition, John Barry.

Radio Two did him proud yesterday, with his most memorable themes - 'Born Free', the 'Bond' oeuvre and 'Midnight Cowboy' - featuring prominently in their playlist.

His work is pretty well represented in my own music collection, with 'Out of Africa' taking a place in my 'Soundtrack Retrospective' series from last year, with 'Dances With Wolves' hovering just outside the top 12, and the James Bond movies coming up behind.

But the ones I've chosen little-played ones from the Eighties, 'High Road To China' and 'Raise The Titanic!'. Not, in truth, great films, either of them. But great examples of his craft:






RIP, John Barry. Your music will live on.

4 comments:

NickM said...

When Lew Grade discovered just how much "Raise the Titanic" was over-budget he allegedly quipped that it would have been cheaper to lower the Atlantic.

For some reason that witticism always occurs to me when I think of AGW.

Anyway, RIP John Barry. When I get my Aston Martin I think we can all guess what will be on the MP3...

Anonymous said...

"Raise the Titanic" great music, shame about the film!
Being the saddo that I can be occasionally (what do you mean always!) I looked at the surfacing scene thinking when the hull and floatation devices would explode. (The gas expands as the water pressure reduces so must be released otherwise... BOOM!) And why didn't water pressure strip the hull?
But John Barry was a great composer and will be missed.

TTFN, Michael :)

Eddie Willers said...

I always think of the great theme he wrote for Curtis & Moore in 'The Persuaders'.

JuliaM said...

"For some reason that witticism always occurs to me when I think of AGW. "

Indeed!

""Raise the Titanic" great music, shame about the film!"

It wasn't the best. Though I defy anyone not to shed a tear when Sir Alec Guinness asks Richard Jordan to put the flag he's kept back on the ship if they manage to raise it.

Or maybe that's just me...:)

"I always think of the great theme he wrote for Curtis & Moore in 'The Persuaders'."

Yes, a lot of people don't realise he did TV too.