Monday 9 December 2013

Hyperbole, Shaming And Political Opportunism?

It must be another Open Borders article in CiF; and Emma Hunter ramps up the hyperbole:
I was quick to realise that the clients were often not even called by their names – they were instead called by the boat number displayed on their photo ID card, which had to remain on them at all times. "673/RYB/039!". The practice reminded me of stories from concentration camps in the second world war.
Really? You mean, apart from the planned result of those showers..?
One of the saddest places I worked at was referred to as "the induction shed". This is where asylum seekers are first led to after stepping onto the island's jetty. Once there they sit and wait, sometimes for hours, without any food or water.
They’ve supposedly braved hardship, terror and a long sea voyage in unsuitable transport to get here yet the fact that there’s no (free) sandwiches for a few hours is intolerable?
As a mental health nurse, I would ask a series of questions outlined for us by the immigration department. These forms often asked unnecessary questions and avoided vital ones – we were told to "stick to the script".
You're hired to do a job. They'll tell you how to do it. What's wrong with that?
It was there that I heard some of the most horrific and tragic of stories.
Yes, I'm sure you did. So what?
Since returning from Christmas Island, my friends from school often ask me about my experience while at the pub. "Are you still helping support those bomb throwers?" they ask, adding that refugees are " taking our jobs". I feel a strong burning inside each time, and want to scream at them for showing such ignorance. But instead I tell them the story about the guy from Somalia, or the boy from Afghanistan. And when they listen, they see what I see. I give them information and facts, and it makes them think. That’s all I ask of people when it comes to the asylum seeker issue: just think about it, read more about it. Don’t take for granted that the government is doing the best thing.
And if they think, and then still consider that open ended immigration isn't something they want to see?
I truly believe that most Australians would show much more compassion and understanding if they experienced what I have. I have never been ashamed to be Australian until I was thrown in this process.
Compassion and understanding is all very well, but cramming Australia full of refugees isn't the answer.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Refugees?
Please don't be led into using the language chosen by the bleeding-hearts without a brain.

The word 'refugee' has so many connotations that it appeals to the humane instincts that most people have. I am in favopur of giving succour to refugess.
But I am not in favour of pandering to illegal immigrants who deliberately avoid the legal immigration process, who seek to abuse refugee status, and who often use criminal gangs and people-traffickers to help them.

The Blocked Dwarf said...

Anon is definitely right about the misuse of the term 'refugee' - it's one of the many dichotomies of UK PLC that we let in anyone EXCEPT genuine refugees...so much so that we feel obliged to put up statues to commemorate the few times in the past when we actually did the right thing and gave refuge to the persecuted (I cite the rather creepy 'Kindertransport' statue, M'lud).

I also feel ashamed to be a brit whenever some armchair Xenophobe bleats 'but we're only a small island' (actually we're the 8th largest I think) when sheer common humanity would demand we accept whichever group of GENUINE refugees are in this weeks persecution top ten...so to THAT extent I have some sympathy with the Another Bleeding Heart On The BarBi Slapper.

Anonymous said...

Off licences in Sweden used to make you take a number and then they called your number. Were they therefore like concentration camps?

selsey.steve said...

The Somalis who came to Zambia frightened the living daylights out of the local Zambian population! The incomers solved any 'problem' with gunfire. End of.
I left Zambia in 1974 and went to Hong Kong.
The Vietnamese boat people arrived and frightened the living daylights out of the local Chinese!
I had dealings with both groups of 'refugees' and I can assure you that the one thing that you will NEVER get from any 'refugee' is the truth. Each and every one you interview embellishes or contrives their history to degrees beyond belief.
Yes, some, a very small 'some', are genuine but the vast majority of those wandering this planet at present are simply looking for a cushy number.

JuliaM said...

" I am in favopur of giving succour to refugess.
But I am not in favour of pandering to illegal immigrants who deliberately avoid the legal immigration process, who seek to abuse refugee status, and who often use criminal gangs and people-traffickers to help them."


Agreed!

"Off licences in Sweden used to make you take a number and then they called your number. Were they therefore like concentration camps?"

Like my local Sainsbury Deli counter ;)

" The incomers solved any 'problem' with gunfire. End of. "

They do that here in London too...

Anonymous said...

Anon @ 15.39
Argos do the same - the bastards!
Penseivat