Tuesday 30 June 2009

Because We Don’t Have Enough Control Freaks Proposing Radical Change…

Packs of red meat should carry warning labels advising shoppers to ration themselves to three portions a week, amid controversial claims that livestock production is killing the planet.

The proposals come from the World Wildlife Fund (WWF), which also wants Britons to switch to milk substitutes as part of a radical move away from dairy farming.
And you thought they just spent your donations setting up tiger reserves and cuddling dolphins…
Co-author of a new WWF study, Charlotte Lee-Woolf said: 'We've looked at what people are eating, and at a population level we are over-consuming red meat by 70per cent and dairy by 40per cent.'
Note: ‘over consuming’ just means you are eating too much red meat by Charlotte Lee-Woolf’s standards. I bet you’re really concerned about that, aren’t you? I know I am….
WWF insists that the recent campaign from Sir Paul McCartney to encourage people to go 'Meat Free on Mondays' does not go far enough.

The organisation suggests people could switch to eating more chicken and other poultry and drinking milk alternatives made from soya or rice.

It also argues people should switch to consuming much more fruit and vegetables.
Is this what people intend for the WWF to do with the money they donate to them for conservation and animal welfare? Hector people into changing their diets?
While the ideas may seem bizarre, it is clear that there are elements within the food and farming department, Defra, who will sympathise with its aims.

Both the Secretary of State in the department, Hilary Benn, and his recently appointed number two, Jim Fitzpatrik, are vegetarians.
Poor reporting by the Daily Fail here. We don’t actually know what they’d think about the proposal, and it would be stupid to assume that they would agree, since it would threaten their empire, and thereby their cushy jobs and pension.

Besides, couldn’t they have just asked them about it? Or are reporters now simply making up the ‘news’ openly…?

As Mark Twain said:” If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed.”
However, director general of the Provision Trades Federation, Clare Cheney, hit back, saying: 'It's totally unrealistic to expect retailers to do something that would actually work in this area.

'Consumers themselves would have to have the incentive to eat less meat and dairy, and there's no indication of that happening.'
Indeed…
The British Retail Consortium, which speaks for supermarkets, said: 'This approach is very radical.

'Retailers do not want to be seen as responsible for the decimation of the UK meat and dairy industry, which would seem to be the logical outcome of the WWF's approach.'
The logical outcome of the WWF’s approach would be that people wake up and start to see where the money they unwittingly donate to a charity with a panda logo goes – into control over the human animal.

But that’s too much to hope for, I suppose…

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seems to me the message is don't eat food that tastes nice, it's destroying the planet. Here have some alternatives that taste like shit"

Why oh why can't these sticky beaks just leave us alone?

Pavlov's Cat said...

drinking milk alternatives made from soya or rice.

Well piss is also an alternative, but I still won't be putting it in my tea.

The Ex was a self-diagnosed lactose intolerant, so I tried these alternatives in the spirit of supporting her delusion.

I have never tasted anything quite so foul.

Stan said...

The more these people "encourage" us to avoid something the more I want to do it. My cigar smoking has increased (three this year already!) and I'm going to be eating more red meat thanks to this.

It's also worth pointing out that I've never met a veggie who wasn't either sickly or looked very sickly.

Anonymous said...

WWF UK gets 12%(£5m) of its income from "Government, aid agencies and NGOs". I haven't found a breakdown of how much from each yet, but for that kind of money, Veggie Benn can get any report he wants, so if he wants us to go veggie, WWF is going to be one of the pressure groups lobbying for it.

This report is probably just the beginning. Look for another 'charity' to issue a report saying how much healthier we'll all be, and another demanding Veggie act on the 'scientific facts'.

Then Benn will wave all these reports in parliament and promise to act on them for the 'good of the people' and 'to save the planet'. Then the Chancer will slap a tax on cows and beef cattle.

And the MSM will lap it all up.

Kevin B

Letters From A Tory said...

Cuddling dolphins would be an admirable plan - I'd definitely give money to that because dolphins are so cute and smarter than most Labour cabinet ministers.

Rob said...

"We've looked at what people are eating, and at a population level we are over-consuming red meat by 70per cent and dairy by 40per cent."

Sounds like a really thorough study, that.

JuliaM said...

"I have never tasted anything quite so foul."

I've never tried. Sterilized milk is as far as I've gone, and that tasted like the devil's sweat...

"The more these people "encourage" us to avoid something the more I want to do it."

Me too. Can't buck human nature!

"This report is probably just the beginning. "

Wouldn't be surprised. MummyLongLegs reports that PETA are up to this in Scotland too...

"Sounds like a really thorough study, that."

It might be just the way the Fail summarised it. But then again, probably not...

Anonymous said...

I watched Supersizers Go Medieval last night. They complained that the peacock was a bit dry and gamey, but were blown away by the cockentrice, a concoction made by sewing the front end of a turkey to the back end of a sucking pig.

Say what you like about the Normans, but they certainly had a creative way about them in the kitchen.

Emily said...

If we didn't eat cows and became vegetarians, the cows would eat all of the vegetables and then we'd starve to death. Cows are vicious creatures and deserve to be eaten. So do cuddly little bunnies.

JuliaM said...

"Say what you like about the Normans, but they certainly had a creative way about them in the kitchen."

Oh, yes. It wasn't just '204 ways with gruel'. Well, unless you were a peasant...

"Cows are vicious creatures.."

Indeed...

JuliaM said...

"Say what you like about the Normans, but they certainly had a creative way about them in the kitchen."

Oh, yes. It wasn't just '204 ways with gruel'. Well, unless you were a peasant...

"Cows are vicious creatures.."

Indeed...

Angry Exile said...

It's the WWF, a known fake charity as Anonymous points out. We really shouldn't be surprised. As for Paul McCartney and meat free Mondays, I really will go bush and shoot something to eat if he doesn't shut the fuck up soon, and I'll vac-pac any bitsI don't fancy and mail it to the self righteous bastard.

Von Spreuth. said...

Packs of red meat should carry warning labels advising shoppers to ration themselves to three portions a week,

Thats O.K I buy pig by the side. One "portion" = one "side".

Three sides of pig per week, THEN, because they are included, the gibblets...NOOO Problem.

Any other questions H&S man?

Or does my diet cause problems for the "cultural enrichers" in Britain?

Von Brandenburg-Preußen.

Von Spreuth said...

Pavlov's Cat said...

I tried these alternatives in the spirit of supporting her delusion.

I have never tasted anything quite so foul.


Hay! don't knock it. I once, TOTALY against my will, tried Tequila. You think YOU have problems?

Von Brandenburg-Preußen.

Dr Evil said...

Fortunately I don't give these authoritarian shits anything!

Gibby Haynes said...

The more these people "encourage" us to avoid something the more I want to do it.

That's exactly how it works wih me. They cry and wail about carbon dioxide, so I go out of my way to burn stuff. They bitch and moan about red meat and so I'll increase the red meat content of my diet. And when I walk the dog this evening, I'll find a cow (I live in the country) and feed it some grass in the hope it'll do a few extra farts.

Everytime an Ecofascist tells me something is bad, I do it more. So the best way for Ecoweenies to do their bit to 'save the planet', at least with people like me, is to shut the fuck up.

JuliaM said...

"Everytime an Ecofascist tells me something is bad, I do it more. So the best way for Ecoweenies to do their bit to 'save the planet', at least with people like me, is to shut the fuck up."

Or start extolling the virtues of red meat and fast cars... ;)