A man who escaped with his life after fire ravaged his home is suing Basildon Council for negligence.At last! Someone declaring that they are not prepared to put up with lousy service!
Mr Maicher, who has appointed a solicitor, lost all his belongings in the November 13 inferno, and is one of those left homeless.Since the arsonists are no doubt out of reach…
He is adamant the council didn’t react quick enough and get rid of the dumped sofa outside his home, which arsonists lit to start the inferno.
He claims it was there for around a month. However, the council said the abandoned furniture was never reported.Which is a rather different tune to the one they were singing a few days back:
Two weeks ago, Gary Edwards, Basildon Council’s head of street scene and leisure, insisted the furniture was “not the cause” , as he issued a warning to residents to report abandoned furniture.Ooops! Caught bang to rights!
However, Sarah Thapa, spokeswoman for Essex Fire and Rescue Service, confirmed: “The settee was a factor in the fire’s development, as well as two armchairs.So, what has happened to the lying council official?
“The investigation into the fire has now been completed, and it has been recorded as deliberate ignition.”
Rab Fallon, Basildon Council’s head of housing services, admitted the council had got it wrong.And instead is falling on the ‘no-one reported it!’ line.
Well, Rab, you’ve been caught out in one lie already. Why believe you about this..?