Tuesday 21 February 2012

Even When They Do Wrong, It’s Really Our Fault…

A teenage Muslim took his father’s ornamental dagger to school for protection….
Knife crime! Throw the book at him!
… after he feared racist abuse following the Kingston Mosque attack, a court has heard.
Oh, hang on – poor little victim! Give him leniency!
The 14-year-old took the knife to school after he started to worry about “anti-Muslim” abuse after Kingston Mosque was attacked in November 2010, Wimbledon Youth Court heard.

Solicitor Ronald Baker said the teenager, who cannot be named for legal reasons, feared pupils would blame “all Muslims” for poppy burning by Islamic extremists leading up to Remembrance Day.
Yup, some Muslims do something bad and we just can’t expect all those English people not to overreact, right?

Is it me, or is that somewhat the wrong way round?
The year 10 pupil was challenged about the weapon by a teacher on November 11 last year, after a concerned parent raised the alarm.
So…how did the parent know he had it?

Naturally, this is considered an opportunity, for some:
Rizwan Khaliq, a spokesman for the Muslim Association of Kingston, said he was disappointed the young man felt it necessary to bring the knife to school following the attack on the mosque.

Mr Khaliq worked on the One Community project, a community cohesion programme between the police, Kingston Council and minority groups in the borough.

He said: “I feel very sorry for this young man because I am sure that if you knew the level of support we have received from the wider community following the attack on the mosque he might not have been so concerned.

He could have come to the mosque and we would have been very happy to go to the school with him to present our DVD and have a discussion with the pupils.

“One Community is important as it is intended to help young people like this boy not feel they have to defend themselves by taking a dagger to school.”
Yes, I’m sure your DVD would have gone down so well…

4 comments:

Woman on a Raft said...

took his father’s ornamental dagger to school

He should have said he was a Sikh, then it would be OK.

Anonymouslemming said...

@WoaR

Yep... I can't carry a multi-tool that I use almost every day for repairs, building things, etc. in public unless I can show good reason for it. But if I believe in a specific sky pixie, the law says I can carry a dagger.

I've rebuilt vehicle components on the side of the road in the Central African Republic with my multi-tool, but if I get caught with it in the pub I'm in trouble. Yet I could carry a dagger (which is far less useful) just by changing my sky pixie.

Anonymous said...

Amazing how the feared 'white British backlash' has never materialised and seems only to exist in the fevered minds of liberals, lefties, mozzies and anyone form the permanently aggrieved and easily offended community.

JuliaM said...

"He should have said he was a Sikh, then it would be OK."

Good point!

"I've rebuilt vehicle components on the side of the road in the Central African Republic with my multi-tool, but if I get caught with it in the pub I'm in trouble."

It'd only be a problem if the police don't exercise any judgement and just blindly follow ord...

Wait.

"Amazing how the feared 'white British backlash' has never materialised..."

Well, there's the EDL, but that seems to serve merely to give the UAF something to do...