Tuesday 14 February 2012

Morality? You Couldn’t Find It In A Dictionary!

It’s easy to get depressed over the latest BMA atrocity over organ donation. It is, after all, just another skirmish in the long-running war between the BMA and people who would rather make decisions for themselves, thank you very much.

But there are heartening signs that not all doctors are on board with this, and some can indeed see the writing on the wall for their profession:
…the report admits that some intensive care doctors oppose the practice, "questioning whether frustration over the falling number of DBD [donation after brain death] donors has resulted in 'interventions that could jeopardise professional and public confidence in all forms of donation' and arguing that such practices are 'at the very edge of acceptability'".
Oh, indeed! As is this one too:
The report also suggests:

• Action to highlight the "moral disparity" of those who say they would accept an organ but would not donate one.
Doctors are going to start lecturing us on ‘morality’? Doctors are…?

The sorts of doctors who facilitate this sort of thing?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

9 comments:

Captain Haddock said...

Slightly O/T .. but still within the overall context of "Morality" ..

I'm sure I wasn't the only one to experience a frisson of satisfaction at the re-jailing of Ali Dizaei ..

I understand that old Ali has received a Valentine's card in Pentonville this morning .. The verse inside reads ..

"Roses are red
Corkscrews are twisted
Bend over bitch
You're about to get fisted"

Couldn't happen to a nicer, or more deserving bloke really .. ;)

Jiks said...

Capt - I must confess this news brought a wry smile to my lips too.

Julia, this reminds me, I must remember to get one of those body donor card things. I personnally won't using my organs much once I'm dead.

Lynne said...

Harold Shipman. Where is he when his profession so desperately needs him?

nbc said...

Lynne

Sadly he's not around to serve as Ali's new cell mate.

Gallovidian said...

Informed consent or nothing.

David Gillies said...

When organ donation was opt-in, I was more than happy to carry a donor card. Make it opt-out and I will carry a card to the contrary.

Dr Cromarty said...

The BMA is a trade union. A T-R-A-D-E U-N-I-O-N. Do you get that BMA?

I am a member. I expect them to do what they can for my Ts & Cs and represent me if I'm accused of anything. Otherwise they have all the moral authority of Bob Crowe.

Disbanding their 'ethics committee' would be a good start.

JuliaM said...

"I'm sure I wasn't the only one to experience a frisson of satisfaction at the re-jailing of Ali Dizaei..."

Oh, you weren't! If only the craven top brass who facilitated his (undeserved) promotions had been in the dock with him...

"Harold Shipman. Where is he when his profession so desperately needs him?"

Wot nbc said... ;)

"When organ donation was opt-in, I was more than happy to carry a donor card. Make it opt-out and I will carry a card to the contrary."

That's my attitude as well. Call it 'the buggeration effect'...

" Otherwise they have all the moral authority of Bob Crowe."

They have a startling resemblance, it has to be said!

Woman on a Raft said...

If only the craven top brass who facilitated his (undeserved) promotions had been in the dock with him.

Fair dos - he spent years playing the raaaace card and anyone who tried to stop him got the Ray Honeyford treatment.

I'm not quite sure now, but I thought even Private Eye was taken in and wanted to run the story as "Yard discriminates against innocent dusky fellow" back in the mists of time when the police first investigated him.

Ali was all "How dare they investigate me, they're only doing it coz I iz blek". No, it's coz you iz bent and always haz been, having benefitted from our absurdly lax and politically corrupt methods of choosing police officers, designed to politicise the whole police service.

If he had stuck to beating up and falsely arresting white blokes - what he was hired to do - he'd never have been charged. It's only because he is an equal-opportunities scammer that he got caught at all.

Paradoxically, the one thing Dizaei isn't, is a racist.