Monday 4 May 2020

Why Is She Just 'At Risk'..?

When are we getting around to deporting her? Never?
Josephine arrived in the UK as a student from Nigeria 14 years ago, renewed her student visa and then received a post-study work permit. But her application to remain in the UK on a longer term basis was refused in 2015 with no right of appeal. All her attempts to reapply since have failed, meaning she is classified as an undocumented migrant and at risk of deportation.
But not much risk, it seems, since no-one appears to be ensuring these people leave...
All in all, Josephine is tasked with surviving off £100-a-month. Some of that goes on her phone contract. It has to, she explains, because it is her lifeline to access more food and more support.
“I keep getting emails from people, charities and organisations, so I need to keep the phone running.”
It's these organisations and charities that are keeping her here, in violation of the law. Why are they not considered accessories?
It raises the question of what support there would be for those in Josephine and Thomas’s situation in these unprecedented times if food banks did not exist, and if charities and communities had not built the most basic of safety nets.
It’s a question she does not like to dwell on. “I started thinking about this and it got me worried,” she says. “It’s really tough because if I didn’t have the support I was getting now I don’t know how I would survive. I really don’t know.”
I don't suppose the answer would ever be 'back in Nigeria', would it?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

To be fair, Julia, where is she going to get the money to pay for the air fare?

On the other hand, what is the kid's father giving in the form of support? Nothing? Quelle surprise!

Anonymous said...

Despair comes ever more easily these days. No wonder we have hundreds crossing the channel in boats to get to the land of free milk and honey, well milk and honey paid for by the poor bloody tax payer. That will be the same tax payer that forks out for their legal aid lawyers as well.

Stonyground said...

It seems to me that there are government employees who are simply not doing their jobs.

Anonymous said...

If she is being given food and 'more support' then she's not living exclusively on £100, now is she?

JuliaM said...

"...where is she going to get the money to pay for the air fare?"

Well, I have this email from a Nigerian prince in my inbox...

"No wonder we have hundreds crossing the channel in boats to get to the land of free milk and honey, well milk and honey paid for by the poor bloody tax payer. "

It's our only growth industry now...

"It seems to me that there are government employees who are simply not doing their jobs."

More than are, I suspect...

"If she is being given food and 'more support' then she's not living exclusively on £100, now is she?"

Don't forget the (ahem) black economy....