Monday 2 November 2020

A Visit To Wales...

...shows Dan Hodges just why the politicians are allowed to get away with it:
...the bureaucratic madness unleashed by the Drakeford 'reset' is fully on display.
'So I run this shop with my husband and Duncan [the shop assistant],' Jennifer explains. 'When I'm serving with my husband, it's fine, because we're in a bubble. But Duncan isn't. So when he's on, I have to stay here in the kitchen. And we've put a till at the end of the counter so he can stay down that end and I can stand up here.'
Presumably they think all this is insane? 'Oh no,' Duncan tells me. 'I back the First Minister.'

What can we do, when faced with this? 

Wales is literally the land of my father. He was born and brought up in Bridgend – in a proud and brave and passionate nation. A nation that is slowly being suffocated. Partly by a virus. But also by the ego and narrow- mindedness of one man. People here may not be directly embracing Drakeford's vigilantism, or encouragement to inform on outsiders. But they are following his edict to be afraid.

'Welshmen will not yield', the song tells us. Reality tells us something rather different. 

And we are the same in England, passively accepting the nonsense spewing from No 10.

...despite the Prime Minister's Churchillian words about 'defeating Covid', we're still no closer to beating the virus than we were at the start of the year. Doctors, scientists, politicians – none of them really has a clue how to balance saving life with living life. But as I drive back across Mark Drakeford's border into Free Shropshire, there's one thing I'm certain of. We will not turn the tide of coronavirus by turning upon ourselves.
But we might, if we turn on the politicians that are driving it. Do we have any volcanoes in the UK?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My father is also Welsh, they wanted their own assembly and government. They are fiercely independent (well apart from taking English tax money) and it's not for Boris or Westminster to tell them what to do. They wanted to make their own decisions and now they will have to live with that. As most children learn when you leave and insist on having your own way it often comes with unexpected consequences. It's called growing up and Wales will have to live with it.

Stonyground said...

I always get a nice single malt in for Christmas, I usually like the more mellow Speyside whisky rather than the more bitey ones called Glen. This year I've taken a bit of a chance and bought a bottle of Welsh Penderyn. Not to be opened until Xmas so I can't yet report on whether I like it.

Stonyground said...

Sorry to be OT but a little while ago you did a post about someone complaining that some guy's Halloween decorations were too scary. Like these you mean?

https://www.boredpanda.com/extreme-realistic-halloween-decorations-police/?cexp_id=33897&cexp_var=29&_f=featured&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

Anonymous said...

Stonyground, in PC, woke and nanny knows best UK I hope you remember no more than 14 units a week and no more than 4 units at any one time! My doctor told me a while ago to only have 20 units a week. I looked at my medical record the other day and saw I have been labled a heavy drinker because the rules have changed and I was abiding by his old advice.

JuliaM said...

"They are fiercely independent (well apart from taking English tax money) and it's not for Boris or Westminster to tell them what to do."

Well, they got what they wanted - someone even worse to tell them what to do!

"This year I've taken a bit of a chance and bought a bottle of Welsh Penderyn."

Better not open it, it may be a collectable item when the Wall goes up!

"Like these you mean?"

Good lord!!!!

"My doctor told me a while ago to only have 20 units a week. I looked at my medical record the other day and saw I have been labled a heavy drinker because the rules have changed and I was abiding by his old advice."

Simplest way to avoid that? Tell them nothing!