Friday 6 November 2020

Only In Brighton!

Quick! Get the popcorn!

Workers at a vegan restaurant have quit en masse after its owner claimed trans people were being influenced by spirits.
Happy Maki owner Anna MacDonald made the claim after she was asked to provide financial help with a surgery for a trans person, who worked nearby.

Is that normal? Not the transgenderism, but the begging? 

In the email to the trans person, Ms MacDonald said: “I have a lot of compassion for anyone who finds themselves feeling not right in their own skin/bodies.
“From the research I have done, I believe that gender dysphoria is due to spirits and spirit over-cloaking.
“I didn’t believe in spirits until recently so I get that it’s probably a bit out there, but I have been shocked and a bit scared about what I have read and how easy it is for them to control and manipulate people’s thoughts and feelings.”

Err....OK! 

A statement said to have been written collectively by “ex-Happy Maki staff and the trans individual involved” has been released.
Referencing Ms MacDonald’s email, it reads: “It wouldn’t feel effective to have Happy Maki or the owner be ‘cancelled’.
“It would be for the best if she can learn and understand why it was a transphobic, damaging thing to say.
“We ask Anna MacDonald to take accountability and responsibility for her transphobic actions.”

Blimey! 


 I'm going to need another two of these!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the staff quit, then they don't have to be paid redundancy. The restaurant presumably was doing social distancing, so its takings were down, and this might be a good time to shut up shop completely for the time being.

Mark Wadsworth said...

Classic stuff.

Ted Treen said...

I definitely AM influenced by spirits: a few large (neat, of course) Glenmorangies and I feel the influence.

Bucko said...

Interesting name for someone who owns a vegan restaurant
And she's clearly crazy...

Anonymous said...

Not that unusual, a number of fundamental Christian groups in UK even today believe that spirit or in there terms demon possession is the cause of many things. I have heard them talk about the demons of smoking, drinking or lust. They still teach their children that the world is full of evil spirits that can possess them.

The Jannie said...

And we're supposed to take the opinions of vegans seriously? They don't even know how to feed themselves properly when most of us managed it by the time we were two years old.

Andy said...

Brilliant! Only in Brighton, as you say. Sometimes Julia you make my day.

Doonhamer said...

But did the hopeful transgenderist get any money?
So much wasted publicity if not.

Scrobs. said...

Time for a Big Mac, methinks!

(But which side will it button up)?

JuliaM said...

"If the staff quit, then they don't have to be paid redundancy."

A silver lining?

"Classic stuff."

If you told me this story and omitted the location, 'Brighton' would rise unhesitatingly to my lips...

"I definitely AM influenced by spirits: a few large (neat, of course) Glenmorangies and I feel the influence."

🤣

"Interesting name for someone who owns a vegan restaurant
And she's clearly crazy..."


I think 'vegan restaurant' was a bit of a clue, don't you?

JuliaM said...

"... a number of fundamental Christian groups in UK even today believe that spirit or in there terms demon possession is the cause of many things."

Would they be salt-of-the-earth British Christians, or a more recent import?

"And we're supposed to take the opinions of vegans seriously? They don't even know how to feed themselves properly when most of us managed it by the time we were two years old."

Heh!

JuliaM said...

"Only in Brighton, as you say. Sometimes Julia you make my day."

I aim to please!

"But did the hopeful transgenderist get any money?"

Oooh, I'm pretty sure if they didn't there'll be another story soon...

"Time for a Big Mac, methinks!

(But which side will it button up)?"


😃