Monday 9 November 2020

Imagine Looking At Wales And Thinking 'What A Great Idea!'...

...well, someone did. The lead supermarket, no less. 


I went to Tesco on Saturday morning, and saw barriers across the travelator leading to the upper mezzanine, where the cafe and clothes are. Didn't think much about it, assumed it was broken (it often breaks down), and did my shop and left. 

Only found out later that day that they are doing this in ALL stores that have a seperate section for clothes that they can shut off. They claimed it was due to 'government advice' but didn't go as far as putting barriers and plastic sheeting over 'non-essential goods' on ground floors. Yet.

I suppose we should be grateful they didn't just do what Sainsbury's did, and invite the police in to (incorrectly) lay down the law! 

Lidl and Aldi for me for a daily shop in future!

7 comments:

Stonyground said...

The question that comes immediately to mind is just why? Do they want to harm their own business? Maybe their top managers are just really stupid.

Anonymous said...

Wales wanted its own assembly and self government, now they have it they really can't expect Westminster to over rule what their own leaders have done. Welcome to the grown up world Wales it's called democracy and it's what you wanted.

Mark Wadsworth said...

That's not happened yet at my local Tesco branches, even the fairly large ones. But I suppose it will happen sooner or later.

The Cowboy Online said...

Over on Twatter one of the comments was a suggestion he just carry proof of exemption with him. I feel that's somewhat onerous, requires the guy to show on demand, so I've suggested - helpfully, I feel - that perhaps sewing a symbol to his clothing, a star perhaps, so he's readily identifiable at all times would be a good approach.

Anonymous said...

Any customer could always pull up in a 4x4, park it on double yellow lines, or half on the pavement, use an Irish accent and, if a male, wear old clothing and wellies. This would make them exempt from all legislation. It helps if the women are 5 stone overweight, wear crop tops, white stiletto shoes and have bleached blonde hair. Bags of clothes pegs or lucky Heather optional.
Penseivat

Steve Samson said...

I have not been inside a tesco or any of the big chains since they made it VERY clear they didn't want my money during the first lockdown. I've not missed a thing. Support your local butcher / Baker / candlestick maker and avoid them like the plague.

JuliaM said...

"Maybe their top managers are just really stupid."

Or just cowardly.

"But I suppose it will happen sooner or later."

So far here, it's just those with seperate mezzanines. They haven't quite gone to the same idiocy as Wales by curtaining off sections on main floors.

"...I've suggested - helpfully, I feel - that perhaps sewing a symbol to his clothing, a star perhaps, so he's readily identifiable at all times would be a good approach."

LOL!

"This would make them exempt from all legislation. "

The modern day Untouchables!

"I've not missed a thing. Support your local butcher / Baker / candlestick maker..."

If only such a thing existed.