Saturday 14 November 2020

Who Really Cares..?

Penguin Random House has partnered with think tank The Runnymede Trust to promote diverse reading lists in schools.
The Lit in Colour campaign follows a recent report by Teach First, which claimed that many students will leave school having never studied a book by an author of colour or ethnic minority background.

Really..?

 


But...maybe there's a good reason that they should study these books?

Penguin CEO Tom Weldon outlined the need to make reading lists more inclusive and representative of the students who study the subject.
"At its best, English Literature offers young people a passport to see and understand the world through others' eyes, inspire a lifelong love of reading and a fundamental sense of belonging. Access to a diverse and representative range of books, authors and characters is key — in classrooms, school libraries and at home.”

But if a kid from the mean streets of Bethnal Green reads about Victorian England or the time of Shakespeare, they are 'reading and seeing the world through others' eyes', aren't they? 

What sort of books are you recommending they read instead?

What books do you think should be on the curriculum?
We can think of many wonderful writers of colour who could be studied, but ultimately we’re not educational experts, and so don’t think it’s our place to suggest them. Moreover, it’s really important to us that at this stage of the initiative that we’re not trying to identify solutions or make recommendations before the findings of the research are published.

So...you don't know, because you're not 'educational experts'. But you are experts on books. 

Aren't you? Surely you could suggest something..?

"But the reality is that our young people are still studying a mostly white, mostly male English Literature curriculum: one which neither reflects contemporary society nor inspires a generation to read outside of their classes. We are joining forces with The Runnymede Trust to support the many schools and teachers working hard to make change on the ground, and to better understand the depth and breadth of this issue.”

Ah. Say no more. You've no idea what you like, just what you don't. We see you. We see you very well. 

12 comments:

Stonyground said...

So, Mr. Weldon can't actually name a single worthy book that is written by an ethnic minority writer, he just somehow knows there must be some. Presumably actually researching the matter would have involved him having to read such books which he apparently doesn't want to be bothered with. He just wants the schools to force kids to read them whether they want to or not.

Doonhamer said...

I bet that he has read the Kama Sutra.
Does that count?

asiaseen said...

"...ensuring books by writers of colour are front and centre"

In other words, the results of the "research" are pre-ordained.

Anonymous said...

It wouldn't be a bad idea to make sure teachers actually do their job and teach youngsters how to read in the first place. I am horrified by the number of young school leaves I have met in the last few years who were all but illiterate.

MTG 1 said...

I can see where this is leading. Many of us won't be spared witnessing traditional education usurped by sterling shite.

Cue the nightmarish vision of Headmaster, Mr Owaniggaronmi, taking assembly in full National costume to announce that this year's winner of the coveted cup for Rap, Reggea and Slave History was none other than the Head Person 'themself.'

Ed P said...

I read a lot of books, but never care or notice the ethnicity etc of the author. Books are either well or badly written, enthralling or boring, informative or superficial. It's never (until now) occurred to me to pay any attention to the skin colour or sex of the author.
This is just more Common Purpose bollox.

Stonyground said...

Yep. Same with male or female authors, it has never bothered me one way or another.

Mark said...

@Ed P

Likewise but I started to fairly recently. There are books out there by "ethnic minorities" of course but they are essentially unreadable to anybody after a good book. Not being interested in their fantasy version of history or "its all whitey's fault" whining.

I start noticing (or trying to notice) a lot of things these days.

I've honestly never seen a range rover or a large SUV with a black driver. Where I live is so white that Adolf and Eva would feel at home as is most of the country and I very rarely venture into third world middens like London. That said, I surely would have seen one.

Ditto lycra clad man children on pushbikes, or anybody on a horse. Or any tradesman, anybody working in a garage, serving in a shop or a restaurant or a bank etc etc

I know, I know given what I said above. But I have seen a Lamborghini (several times actually - white drivers, damn!), a working steam locomotive, a penny farthing, a P51 in flight.......

Startling contrast to TV drama and advertising, which maybe is an explanation for the lack of "ethnic minority" authors: they just can't find the time. Oh the rich and varied and cultured lives of high achievement I see! All this juggling of brilliant careers, with stellar social lives and putting all those dumb white people right, reclaiming the culture that is theirs that we have stolen.

Does anybody know a good (black obviously) psychiatrist as I think I'm going mad. There can be no other reason for me not seeing what is obviously all around. I cannot deny what my betters tell me, as they are my betters. I know this because they say so.

Help!!

Robert the Biker said...

I've read quite a few (in translation admittedly), such as The Epic of Gilgamesh, The Ramayana, the four volume Outlaws of the Marsh, which is the collection of Chinese stories from which the TV series The Water Margin was made. I will take no lectures from the Woke about my literacy thankyouverymuch, buts lets face it, diversity in this context means the scribbles of some illiterate screeching baboon who gets on the list due to brown-ness. besides, people like Disney get hold of a good story and screw it up, if you read the Thousand and one Nights, instead of watching the cartoons, you will find that Aladdin is a muslim Chinese, a Uighur, not some sort of vaguely paki twat.

Ted Treen said...

Bute if I read books by BAME authors on BAME matters, doesn't that mean I am committing "cultural appropriation"? Or is more a matter of Whitey is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't? Can't these idiots make up their minds - or what passes for a mind in most cases?

Dr Evil said...

I have a copy of Wild Swans by Jung Chang. My kind of diversity. Then there's Tin Tin's adventures in the Congo. I'll get my coat.

JuliaM said...

"Presumably actually researching the matter would have involved him having to read such books which he apparently doesn't want to be bothered with."

These people usually have minions to do that for them, don't they?

"It wouldn't be a bad idea to make sure teachers actually do their job and teach youngsters how to read in the first place."

Amen!

"Books are either well or badly written, enthralling or boring, informative or superficial. It's never (until now) occurred to me to pay any attention to the skin colour or sex of the author."

Me neither!

"Startling contrast to TV drama and advertising..."

Oh, indeed! Usually fretting about being 'representative' while painting such a different picture of life it's hard to recognise it...

"...if I read books by BAME authors on BAME matters, doesn't that mean I am committing "cultural appropriation"?"

Heh! That's what I like - play them at their own rigged game!