Wednesday 20 April 2011

Spending To ‘Save’….

The under claiming of free school meals and other benefits by families of Kingston children will be on the agenda at a seminar next month.
Why, it’s surely saving money, isn’t it?
There are 4,930 children living in poverty in Kingston according to the official figures.

Families who earn less than £17,500 a year are eligible to claim free meals from Kingston Council.

The Child Poverty seminar organised by Kingston Voluntary Action is aiming to find out why families are reluctant to claim.
Since there’s penty of information out there about it, easily accessible, I’d say leave it up to them. After all, it’s not as if this would benefit anyone other than…

Ah.
Schools can also claim a premium of £430 for each pupil classed as poor towards the school budget.
Now it all makes sense!

8 comments:

PJH said...

"There are 4,930 children living in poverty in Kingston"

One wonders which definition of poverty is being used here?

"On the streets and homeless" type of poverty or "mum spends all the benefits on booze and fags, and I don't get to watch the channels I want to on Sky" poverty?

KevinWard76 said...

Arrrrgh! Aaaaaaarrrrrgh! Arrrrrrgghhhhhh!

Kennywhizz said...

Don't mock

I have to pay their exorbitant taxes :(((((

Anonymous said...

I am not poor and I can not afford to live in Kingston. So how can poor people do so?

KenS said...

I am not poor and I can not afford to live in Kingston. So how can poor people do so?

Presumably because you're paying for their subsidised housing, the free school meals, the various benefits. And I'm sure they're very grateful.

JuliaM said...

"One wonders which definition of poverty is being used here?"

There's the rub, as they say. The two definitions are so muddled together, it's likely to be both, though far more of the latter.

And of the former, it's usually not down to actual poverty, but rather inadequacy of the parents.

"I am not poor and I can not afford to live in Kingston. So how can poor people do so?"

KenS answers that one!

Furor Teutonicus said...

Ahhh, WTF has Jamaica got to do with anything?

Captain Haddock said...

Furor Teutonicus said ...

"Ahhh, WTF has Jamaica got to do with anything" ?

I must admit Furor, the same thought crossed my mind initially too .. ;)

The only place I can think of in Kingston-upon-Thames, which might fit the description is the Kingsnympton Estate ..

Unless of course, they're referring to Kingston-upon-Hull .. and then you'd be hard pressed to choose between the various shit-hole estates ..