Wednesday 11 July 2018

Special Pleading Is Weak Sauce...

A report has warned that forcing taxi drivers to take additional licensing tests could force ethnic minorities and women out of the trade.
*tries to feign interest* OK, how?
This is because of the extra cost of taking the test and the loss of income while training for it.
Isn't that the same for the chaps?
Because of the higher proportion of women working part-time the test may act as a greater barrier to women entering and remaining in the profession.
Ah. Well, tough.
The report also says that drivers that holding an EU driving licence will find it harder to pass the additional driving test because the requirements involved differ from EU requirements.
Translation: They are more stringent. As you'd expect.
But Helen Chapman, TfL’s interim director of licensing, regulation and charging, said the proposals would be “pivotal” in protecting the public.
Ms Chapman added: “The experiences of passengers and their safety is at the heart of everything we do.”
Good! For once. you're earning your salary. Crack on, and ignore the squealing.

5 comments:

jack ketch said...


The report also says that drivers that holding an EU driving licence will find it harder to pass the additional driving test because the requirements involved differ from EU requirements.


There is so much wrong with that statement that I don't know where to start.


Bucko said...

I wonder. Are they earning their keep or are they just meddling because they can? The article doesn't mention what the additional requirements are. Maybe they want another way to get rid of Uber. Maybe they are just doing what people in power do and making life that bit more difficult for everyone else
Or maybe it's genuine. If I had to place a blind bet, I know where my money would go

Oswald Thake said...

Never a wiser word, Bucko!

The Cowboy Online said...

Something tells me my blind money bet would go the same place as Bucko's

JuliaM said...

"There is so much wrong with that statement that I don't know where to start."

It seems to be saying that we have more stringent rules. That makes a refreshing change!

" Maybe they want another way to get rid of Uber."

I took an Uber for the first time in my life yesterday, after visiting my brother's new flat in Richmond, as my mother can't walk far due to a foot injury (we got a black cab outside the station on the way there).

And I can totally see why they are the phenomenon they are!

"Something tells me my blind money bet would go the same place as Bucko's"

Cynical bunch, aren't you? ;)