Friday 3 June 2011

Burnley Says ‘Anything Southend Can Do…’

...’we can do better!’:
A major new 10-month art project which depicts life in Burnley has been launched in the town.
‘Life in Burnley’, eh?
The Arts Council project kicks off at Towneley Hall with a sculpture designed to symbolise a Saturday night out in the town centre.
Can I assume it’s so horrible it’ll strike onlookers blind?



Close enough…
Titled ‘Hammerton Street Saturday Night’, the illuminated sculpture is said to have been inspired by drinks displays and bar queues.
By being in too many of them, I can only assume.
It has been designed to attract new visitors to the hall and become a talking point in the town.
I can’t see it doing the former very well, but the latter will no doubt be achieved in double-quick time!

And there’s more…
It is the first in a series of seven sculptures being exhibited in the Burnley Room, at the 15th Century stately home, between now and March next year.

Each will be designed by artist team Simon Grennan and Christopher Sperandio, and will reflect an aspect of life in the town.
Can’t wait!

Who’s paying, by the way?
The exhibition has been organised by Creativity Works and is part of the ReVisit programme, which is funded by Arts Council England, Renaissance and Towneley Hall.
Ah. Thought so.

Cut harder, cut deeper, ConDems.

8 comments:

PT said...

Not quite the right shape for an inflated one, are they?

Mick Turatian said...

PT:
Just what struck me too!

Harder, deeper is right, though.

chris said...

The comments below the piece from outraged locals are always well worth reading.

'Surely a more appropriate sculpture would be an installation showing an obese chav girl on her knees vomiting n the gutter whilst her partner kicks someone half to death and a council employee looks on laughing whilst he throws £5 notes down a drain'.

Captain Haddock said...

"Pond Life in Burnley" ..

Changed that for you Julia, no charge either .. ;)

Turf Moor said...

I expect there are aspects of life in Burnley that don't get to be featured for fear of a riot from peaceful people.

I leave you to think what those might include.

English Viking said...

It looks like some kind of multi-function dildo.

I imagine.

blueknight said...

Not quite the right shape for an inflated one, are they?

No, but many years ago I was entertaining a young lady, or was a bout to when I realised I needed to make a necessary purchase. The only place was the all night garage or more correctly the toilet in the all night garage.
There were several machines, but none that sold a recognisable brand. Ignoring all the felt tip graffiti, such as 'This chewing gum is awful and 'so was the Titanic' I made my purchase.
20 minutes later I discovered it was green. I kept thinking that the Incredible Hulk was in on the action.
That objet d'art has brought the memories flooding back.....

JuliaM said...

"Not quite the right shape for an inflated one, are they?"

Well, no, they're missing the little reservoir on the t...

So someone told me!!!

"The comments below the piece from outraged locals are always well worth reading."

Oh, indeed! And that one's much more representative of Burnley than the inflatable condoms. I mean, four times a night..?!?

Who are they trying to kid?

"20 minutes later I discovered it was green."

These days, they're flavoured as we...

So someone told me!!!