Thursday 23 January 2014

I’m Not Sure ‘Instructive’ Was The Word I’d Have Used…

As Michelle Obama prepares to host her 50th birthday party later this month, the type of celebration she has chosen is generating some confusion in the US press.
Those lucky enough to have received an invitation have been advised to "wear comfortable shoes, eat before you come, and practise your dance moves", according to the Chicago Tribune.
The chutzpah of the woman knows no bounds...
Lizzie Post – who has credentials as both the great-great-granddaughter of Emily Post and co-author of Great Get-Togethers: Casual Gatherings and Elegant Parties at Home – told the Washington Post that she would have worded the invitation differently.
"My advice to people would be not to put 'eat before you come' on an invite. And this is not a specific etiquette thing. To me it just sounds so instructive."
Well, that's one word for it...

5 comments:

Lord T said...

Lizzie Post – who has credentials as both the great-great-granddaughter of Emily Post

Is that what counts as credentials nowadays. I'll have to check the family tree.

Joe Public said...

I wonder if Monika gave Bill that instruction too?

Woodsy42 said...

Personally I have alwas prefered to come first and eat as we relax afterwards. But each to their own I suppose.

Greencoat said...

'wear comfortable shoes, eat before you come, and practise your dance moves'

There it is - Black History Month in a can.

JuliaM said...

"Is that what counts as credentials nowadays."

Sadly, I fear so...

"There it is - Black History Month in a can."

*chuckles*