Thursday 30 January 2014

See What You’ve Done, Warburtons?

The family firm posted a lighthearted quiz on its Facebook page, asking people what they like to call their favourite bread-based product.
And, controversially, Warbies did not even include “barm” as one of its four options — instead preferring rolls, baps, cobs or “other” .
Unleash the Northerners!
So we asked the Bolton public what they call this particular product — and they replied in their thousands. And those who responded from this fair town were overwhelmingly in favour of — barm.
Anthony Barry, from Bolton, said: “Barm. You wouldn't go in a chippy and ask for a chip teacake would you.”
Dawnie Atkinson added: “A muffin is sweet, like you get in Costa or Starbucks. A cob is crusty. A roll is longer and this is nothing but a Balm (sic). End of.”
Karl Dalglish, from Farnworth, wrote: “It is and always will be a barm cake. End of.”
Brad Hooton, from Bolton, said: “It's a barm. Fact.”
I hope you’ve all got that?
Several readers felt so strongly about the issue they even felt the need to put pen to paper about the issue.
*boggle*

12 comments:

Longrider said...

I've been doing some work in Manchester and got tangled up with this one. They are really serious about it.

Being a soft southerner, I still call 'em rolls, but I'm wrong, apparently...

Libertarian said...

I quite like the idea of people hanging on to old usage. Makes a change from the seemingly universal 'Can I get a skinny latte and sun-dried tomato and mozzarella panini to go'.

staybryte said...

The most localised term I've ever heard is the Coventry word "batch". Never heard it anywhere else but it's the only - and I do mean only - recognised term within city limits.

Joe Public said...

To me, barn-cakes are flat rolls. i.e. baps.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dxQToOj_6-U/TxF54hkFNWI/AAAAAAAAAEI/uguGdFXyRPQ/s1600/softbaps.jpg

Woman on a Raft said...

The authority in these matters is Botham's Tearoom and Bakery in Whitby.

I cannot answer definitively what this bread product is without undertaking extensive research at that laboratory. Will report back after I have worked my way through the menu.

Bucko said...

""You wouldn't go in a chippy and ask for a chip teacake would you.”"

Er, yes. And I'm only 10 mins drive away from Bolton. I think it's just one of those unanswerable things that exist to pass time down the pub.

Fidel Cuntstruck said...

@Libertarian

Quite!

Also, the phrase you've used as an example contains another modernism that elevates the temperature of my Urine.

"Can I get ...."

What do they mean? do they want to pop round the counter and make the bloody thing themselves?

What ever happened to "May I have..."

Furor Teutonicus said...

XX Anonymous staybryte said...

The most localised term I've ever heard is the Coventry word "batch". Never heard it anywhere else but it's the only - and I do mean only - recognised term within city limits.XX

Always known as Batch cakes in the West Cheshire area.

Furor Teutonicus said...

XX asking people what they like to call their favourite bread-based product. XX

Beer.

Just uncooked bread.

Anonymous said...

Howay man....

Stottie Cakes.

Monty

Fidel Cuntstruck said...

@Monty

Why aye man, Stottie with chips 'n gravy - sticks to yer ribs y'na

JuliaM said...

"They are really serious about it."

People are strange... ;)

"The authority in these matters is Botham's Tearoom and Bakery in Whitby. "

:D