Saturday 6 June 2015

How Dare You Profile The People That Are Committing Crimes!

No, no, wait, it’s not what you think…
Avon and Somerset Police have said they are receiving more and more complaints of cyclists riding irresponsibly on the city's roads. The force has released a new leaflet warning cyclists of the penalties for riding dangerously – which can include fines of up to £2,500 and in the most serious cases, a prison sentence.
Hurrah, right? Wrong!
But the leaflet has caused a Twitter storm amongst cyclists, who say they believe it to be unfair and single them out from other road users.
Ummm…but the specific complaints are about them, specifically. How else can the police do this?
Bristol-based cycling magazine Boneshaker posted the leaflet on Twitter, along with the caption "£2.5k fine! Hope @ASPolice will be handing a motoring equivalent of this to every mobile-using driver, too #cycling"
If the police catch someone using their mobile while driving, I hope they do fine them. At least we both agree on that.
One user, @Beztweets, said: "@boneshakermag @ASPolice Nice of them to illustrate it with a massive "no cycles" sign. Really sets the tone."
Well, they pretty much have to, since that’s the very sign that complaints say is being ignored
@Defy_Rider said: "@AlternativeDfT @boneshakermag odd, as a motorist I've never been given a leaflet telling me to drive properly."
Well, as a motorist, you are tested and licensed and ….

Ah. I see.
@cycleoptic said: "@StopKillingCycl @boneshakermag @David_on_a_bike is it up to @ASPolice to give "advice", why not just #enforce the road laws to all?
Yup, that’s exactly what they should do. I’m all for them enforcing all road laws for all users, which is exactly what they are doing by targeting those who behave as if they don’t apply to them.

So suck it up!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a keen cyclist myself and I get pissed off with people riding like idiots as well. The cycling fora would have done better to have pursued this line and urged all cyclists to ride responsibly so that they don't attract this kind of attention in the first place. I've been on cycle paths where I have had to avoid riders coming in the opposite direction while texting.

Stonyground

Patroller said...

Disabled toilet.

Anonymous said...

Bunny

I am with Mr Stonyground on this one, if you act like a bloody idiot you only have yourself to blame. What is needed is more enforcement.

Bucko said...

So cyclists are above the law because motorists sometimes break it? Does that mean I can drink beer and use my phone in the car if I see a HGV speeding?

Anonymous said...

Police Rule 1
Do like as we is doing when you is in the road except when you is on the pavement.

Anonymous said...

Oh Melv………

JuliaM said...

"The cycling fora would have done better to have pursued this line and urged all cyclists to ride responsibly..."

Indeed. But like every other niche group, they have been taken over by the fanatics.

"So cyclists are above the law because motorists sometimes break it? Does that mean I can drink beer and use my phone in the car if I see a HGV speeding?"

:D