Tuesday 30 June 2015

Quote Of The Month

Johm Galt at 'Countimg Cats' on the Rachel Dolezal story:
"Colour me somewhat unsurprised really, given the nature of positive discrimination in the United States. Economics 101 says “incentives matter”. She was unlikely to get this cushy role with a black advocacy group given her WASP background so, bit of frizzy hairstyle and a darker shade of fake tan and voila! an instant ethnic – the worlds first race transplant.
I suppose it shows the progress of the civil rights movement, less than a century ago “race deception” was all the other way and solely to avoid discrimination."

5 comments:

Ted Treen said...

Not surprising:- I'm a 65 yr old white English heterosexual male who has always worked (now retired), and is married.

I'm always therefore at the bottom of the list for anything.

Anonymous said...

No ted treen -it could be worse - you could be left handed.
Then every greeter, army , door, orchestra, scissor maker etc would discriminate against you.

Ted Treen said...

Funnily enough, I started out as a southpaw, but in the less-than-enlightened days of 1954 when I first went to school, I had it knocked out of me. Every time I picked up a pencil with my left hand, I received a sharp rap on the hand with the thin side of a ruler and a teacher informing me that when I grew up, people would laugh at me for using a knife and fork in the wrong hands etc.

After a probably short period of being ambidextrous, I continued to favour my right hand and even today I have handwriting which would put a GP to shame for its illegibility.

Lynne at Counting Cats said...

Strange she didn't identify herself with a much maligned group - the gingers.

JuliaM said...

"I'm always therefore at the bottom of the list for anything."

As Lynne points out, you could be a ginger too!