Thursday 4 June 2015

‘The Guardian’ Reaches Peak ‘Do As I Say, Not As I Do’…

Julie Bindel on her love of…rap music?!?
The truth is that, if feminists – especially those of us who prioritise the campaign to end male violence against women – restricted themselves to entertainment that was perfectly non-sexist, perfectly pure, we would be pretty miserable (Ed: Nope, I’m not going there..!), and have very little to watch or listen to. No football, because of the machismo and sexist chants. A ban on books and TV programmes that are based on violence against women. I would need to throw away all my crime novels, and never watch The Killing again.
Translation: “Principles are boring! I wantz ma tunes*! And never to be criticised!”
As a feminist, under the system of patriarchy, to live a life without contradiction means I would have to wall myself off from the wider world of music, film and literature, something I’m not prepared to do. Life as an activist could be unremittingly hard if you chose to forego such genuine pleasures.
You want us all to forego them, though…
I deflect my guilt by telling myself that I prioritise effecting real and sustainable change for women, because while I may occasionally listen to a sexist song, or watch a film which is miles from passing the Bechdel test, as a feminist activist I never, ever take time off.
You tell yourself whatever you feel you have to, sweetie…

*If rap could be said to be tuneful

8 comments:

Lord T said...

Ah the harsh world of reality fucks them up the ass.

and they want it too. After all they could always say No. LOL

Mac the Knife said...

I love it. I saw that the NUS has voted to boycott Israel, I look forward to their next protest with no smartphones, no tablets and no comps. Perhaps someone forgot to tell them about Israeli chipsets...

Flaxen Saxon said...

Poor thing. She really shouldn't fill her silly, pretty, little head with with all this nonesense. Us men cope so much better with this sort of thing. She is pretty, isn't she? Please tell me she is pretty.

Anonymous said...

You must support women's movements - you wouldn't want them to just lay there.

Anonymous said...

Well Julia, thanks for reading that pile of pooh and giving us the main points + a good fisking. That said I couldn't read the original, let alone the selected paragraphs from you as it's such a load of utter bollocks. These people need to get proper jobs.

Ted Treen said...

Rap! With the silent "C" at the beginning...

Ted Treen said...

@Anonymous "...These people need to get proper jobs..."

Who would employ them? And to do what?

JuliaM said...

"I saw that the NUS has voted to boycott Israel, I look forward to their next protest with no smartphones, no tablets and no comps. Perhaps someone forgot to tell them about Israeli chipsets..."

:D

"She is pretty, isn't she? Please tell me she is pretty."

You don't look at the mantelpiece when you're stoking the fire... ;)

"Rap! With the silent "C" at the beginning..."

Heh!