Monday 4 October 2010

Great Timing, Yasmin!

So two Jewish brothers were front-runners in the Labour leadership contest and one got chosen. He could one day be PM. Talented and ambitious British Jews have risen to the top in every institution, and deservedly. There it is, clear as filtered water, confirmation that there is no anti-Semitism on these isles any more.
Eh? Has the scatty cow lost what little of her senses remain?

No. It’s merely her way of reminding everyone that racism and prejudice still exist (well, of course they do, while humans exist, there will always be racism and prejudice), despite the calls to scale back the mad laws and PR initiatives that 13 years of Labour misgovernment have given us:
Oh, oh, oh, do I hear howls of protestation? I hope so. Society is more equal and fair than ever before. But only fools and blackguards would claim Jewish people, gays and women have no cause to complain and if they do must be disbelieved, dismissed, assailed, tossed out of polite society to join others who are accursed and unwelcome.
Unfortunately for her, this column appears in the ‘Indy’ on the day that this report appears in the ‘Mail’:
The row erupted during dinner when another passenger at the formal dinner was said to have remarked: ‘There are too many Jews on board’.

Miss Sher, who is Jewish, was appalled and apparently said back: ‘F*** you!’ and ‘How dare you insult me!’ before storming off to her stateroom.

The next morning Commodore Warner knocked on their door and, citing regulations, told them: ‘You insulted a fellow passenger. I'm going to have to ask you to leave the ship’.
Whoops!

Now, assume this happening to any other victim group, and I guarantee you the scream of outrage from the likes of the Yazzmonster would outstrip that cruise ship’s foghorn….

13 comments:

Richard said...

Regarding the QE2 incident, I think there's a lot more to this than meets the eye. The woman had been cantankerous the whole trip, according to other passengers, and demanded 'regal' treatment because of her Broadway connections and her husband's tenuous connection to the House of Windsor. This was only the last in a series of incidents, and I think the captain's patience had finally snapped. We have only her word for it that her Jewishness was mentioned at all by the unidentified 'other passenger'. The fact that Cunard (who normally go out of their way to appease high-spending customers) backed the captain fully says it all.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you're right about Yasmin but the story about the cruise ship strikes me as hustling. The Mail mainly gives us their version of events, which struck me as hard to believe.

They wouldn't throw someone off just because of a single argument that ended in swearing, particularly when she has the perfect excuse to swear. Someone would have said, don't do it - think of the bad publicity.
Sorry I don't buy it.

Anonymous said...

We've already had a jewish prime minister .
Benjamin Disraeli ?

Longrider said...

Anon beat me to it - clearly Yasmin is unaware of Disreali.

Woman on a Raft said...

what some of my good Jewish friends tell me, that there has never been a better time to be a Jew in Britain.

I adore Yasmin's take on "some of my best friends are Jewish/black/gay".

Gibby Haynes said...

Yeah, I was going to mention Disraeli. He was a key figure in the creation of the Conservative Party. Maybe that's why she doesn't mention him.

Anonymous said...

Well, by Yasmin's logic anti-semitism in France must have ended in 1936 when they elected their first Jewish Prime Minister - Leon Blum. Didn't quite seem that way 5 years later though.

JuliaM said...

@ Richard & anon 13:15: Agreed, it's likely a case of six of one, half a dozen of the other. But the juxtaposition amused me!

"Anon beat me to it - clearly Yasmin is unaware of Disreali."

I think Gibby has put his finger on the reasons for that.

"I adore Yasmin's take on "some of my best friends are Jewish/black/gay"."

The woman is completely unself-aware, isn't she?

"Didn't quite seem that way 5 years later though."

Indeed.

Anonymous said...

Yazzer is a moral wuckfit. I'm not sure what a "Jew" (Muslim, Xtian, Hindu etc.) is. Is it someone confused with belief in some vapid religion, or my great Uncle who gave me my first taste of alcohol via his splendid rhubarb wine and taught me to lay flags?
Once mention of religions as vapid is in the air, these 'I'm playing the ethnic, religious, diversity Joker' jokers soon come down intolerantly on those arsed to give evidence a chance. Picture those fleeing religious persecution, persecuting with even more vigour those with other views as soon as they are in power (or landed from the Mayflower). Handed the instruments of torture one is supposed to explain what they are and why they will never be used again, not take of the role of torturer.
"Arsed?" - "Jewish Great Uncle?" - will I be asked to leave the ship next? Just don't maroon me with Yazzer, Cap'n AP!

Chuckles said...

And the winner, by a nose is...?

blueknight said...

We had Disraeli a Jew, Margaret Thatcher a woman and Ted Heath a ....

JuliaM said...

"...and Ted Heath a ...."

....sailor? ;)

Richard said...

As the old joke went - how do you separate the men from the boys on Morning Cloud?

With a crowbar.

(Boom-tish)

Are we allowed to say that these days?