Wednesday 13 October 2010

Soundtrack Retrospective: " Any of you boys seen an aircraft-carrier around here?"

This month’s film is Tony Scott’s ‘Top Gun’ (1986).

It came out in the height of summer here, I think, and being a fan of war machines that went ‘whooosh’, I had to go see it for the flying sequences. The fact it was also jam-packed full of tasty young men was just the cherry on the cake as far as...

Eh?

Oh. Right. That. Yes, well, that little bit of film criticism came along a lot later..

The substitution of F-5s for the MiGs could be forgiven in the days of non-CGI, just as the substitution in other movies for equally good reasons has been.



Forever to be remembered for that theme song and smash hit by Berlin:



But it was crammed with plenty of other soft-rock favourites. In fact, so far, the only one of my soundtrack retrospectives which is not mostly instrumental. My personal favourite is this one:

9 comments:

Bucko said...

I am a fan of Danger Zone, but I have to say I thought Top Gun was pants.

microdave said...

"The fact it was also jam-packed full of tasty young men was just the cherry on the cake"

Lucky you - us men can't even hanker after Kelly McGillis anymore, as she has changed sides, so to speak.

Boo Hoooo....

Anonymous said...

I deeply suspect the film as American propaganda. The whole idea of turning lesbians into compliance with Bible shagging orders with a few whiffs of jet engine fuel is entirely unlikely.

Captain Haddock said...

US Navy Warships ? .. total shite .. can't even get a can of beer .. and most of the larger ones have "ghettos" based on racial lines ..

Which would never happen in the Royal Navy ..

John M said...

Tom Cruise, by Rich Hall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vmg9e785lo

Gibby Haynes said...

Awesome film. The soundtrack was my first CD too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgbjpEMBTYU

jd said...

Tom...

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=11673335

Though when it comes to soundtrack albums, I have to admit two of my favourites are by Queen: Highlander & Flash Gordon.

JuliaM said...

"...I have to say I thought Top Gun was pants."

It hasn't aged too badly. I watched it the other day.

"...us men can't even hanker after Kelly McGillis anymore, as she has changed sides, so to speak."

Oh, yes! That was a .. I was going to say 'queer affair', but I'll settle for 'rum do' :)

"The whole idea of turning lesbians into compliance with Bible shagging orders with a few whiffs of jet engine fuel is entirely unlikely."

Never underestimate the aphrodisiac effects of the uniform... ;)

"...and most of the larger ones have "ghettos" based on racial lines ."

Really? I'm surprised at that!

"Tom Cruise, by Rich Hall"

:D

"The soundtrack was my first CD too. "

I probably shouldn't admit this, but mine was Chris De Burgh's 'Into The Light'. I bought it to play on my first new CD stereo system...

"Though when it comes to soundtrack albums, I have to admit two of my favourites are by Queen: Highlander & Flash Gordon."

Me too.

Mark Wadsworth said...

I didn't intend to watch that film when it came out but all the intellectuals started complaining about it so I changed my mind and went and saw it to spite them.