Thursday 20 October 2011

Victim Of Crime?

Simon Curtis, 40, of East Road, Mersea, was at home with his family when his daughter heard his truck being stolen.

He and her boyfriend, Mark, raced outside and gave chase.

What followed was a seven-mile pursuit involving the force’s finest. Even the dog unit was drafted in to catch the culprits.
Luckily for Simon, they didn’t wind up at a traveller’s site, or it probably wouldn’t have mattered how many cops he had trailing him…
Eventually, Simon pulled over and left the chase to the police, before the truck was found abandoned on The Willows estate up against a bungalow.
Whew! A happy ending, then?
However, the recovery is not all good news for Mr Curtis, as the truck is now being checked by the forensics team – which means he cannot use it for work.

He said: “I’m a builder and I’m at home when I should be at work, so I feel more anger than relief.

I knew they wouldn’t let me have it. I just wanted to pick it up.

“Also, the insurance company said it will only give me a courtesy car if it has to be repaired, and not because the police have it.

“So I am stuck at home waiting for the police now and trying to sort out an alternative.”
Great. Even when you win, you lose out…

3 comments:

Angry Exile said...

Christ, he'd almost have been better off helping them get away and just putting the insurance through.

Anonymous said...

Gurantee he will have storage charges too...

JuliaM said...

"Christ, he'd almost have been better off helping them get away and just putting the insurance through."

Madness, isn't it?

"Gurantee he will have storage charges too..."

Even if the police are retaining it for forensics, rather than just until collection?