Saturday 17 August 2013

Oh, Keith, A Fine Might Be The Least Of Your Worries...

Keith Askew, of Ravensbury Road, says the can bin at the Cotmandene Crescent centre was full, so he left the bags next to it.
Having driven there in a company van, his boss received a call within days saying Mr Askew had been fined.
His 'crime'? Well, according to the council, flytipping. You see, if they don't provide the facilities to recycle, you're supposed to...well, what?

But he might find himself in hotter water:
"I couldn't believe it. There are no signs or anything there. How was I supposed to know what I was doing was wrong?"
Mr Askew, who described the fine as a "stealth tax" says he complained about the situation to the council, but they stood by the fine.
He said: "I am not just some pikey boy who leaves his bags down there.
"I pay my taxes, I go to work, I am a law abiding citizen."
Oooooooohhhhh! Some eagle-eyed commenter leaps on that like a [censored] on a [censored]*...
Lewisham62 says...
He said: "I am not just some **** boy who leaves his bags down there. Is that not a racist statement? I await the NS readers to decide.
 Yes, of course you do. Your kind always try that passive-aggressive crap, don't you?

Some skip the 'passive' bit:
Comments by an Essex councillor who suggested a travellers' site would look like "My Big Fat Gypsy Cesspit" are being investigated by police.
Mark Coxshall, a Conservative member of Thurrock Council, made the comments about a site in Stanford-le-Hope. The Irish Traveller Movement in Britain said the comments were racist and complained to the council.
 *sighs*
Mr Coxshall said: "I utterly refute any suggestion that the comments I have made are in any way racist.
"My comments were about the illegal traveller site. I certainly do not apologise for taking a hard line approach against illegal sites.
"It is very dangerous to make the leap that comments which may not be politically correct are by definition hate-fuelled."
He's right, of course, but such is the political climate I give it three days before he's forced to make a grovelling apology.

* fill in the blanks in as politically-incorrect a manner as you can manage...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you drive a van and put so much as a sandwich wrapper in a public bin,(litter bin or fuel forecourt bin etc) it's a nick.

Bongo-Bongo Land resident said...

* fill in the blanks in as politically-incorrect a manner as you can manage...

Some eagle-eyed commenter leaps on that like a pikey on a catalytic converter...

OR

Some eagle-eyed commenter leaps on that like a Nigerian on a vacated Barking council house...

OR

Some eagle-eyed commenter leaps on that like a Roma gypsy on a sleeping train passenger's phone/laptop...

Macheath said...

Re Mr Coxhall; one hopes he will produce a defence by citing

a) the fact that the traveller 'community' willingly presented their culture under the title 'My Big Fat Gipsy Wedding' on national TV and can therefore have no grounds for objection to the first four words

and

b)the many news reports that amply - and graphically - describe what the occupants of other sites have left behind, confirming the accuracy of word no. 5.

Anonymous said...

The woods of Surrey are full of flytips. Next time Mr Coxall should find a nice bluebell wood not far from Cotmandene.

Joe Public said...

" "I am not just some pikey boy who leaves his bags down there."

Don't the Caravan-using nomadic travellers usually "collect" all the metal (scrap or otherwise) they can find?

Rhetorical question: If they had, would Keith, they or both, have committed an offence?

Disenfranchised of Buckingham said...

Non pc fit to the blanks?

Like a Muslim on a 10 year old.

Anonymous said...

The people who complain about "Big Fat Gypsy Cesspit" or "I'm not some Pikey boy" are complaining because that's what they do. If they can't find something sensible to complain about, they look for excuses like this to do so. If they are, as they claim, offended by this, it's purely because they choose to be offended. I could choose to be offended by their puerile politically correct mantras, but I'm not. I just consider these people to be a bunch of time-wasting tossers who should get a life, and then I get on with mine.
Penseivat

Twenty_Rothmans said...

Lewisham62 says... He said: "I am not just some **** boy who leaves his bags down there. Is that not a racist statement? I await the NS readers to decide.

I suppose it would to someone whose mother had willingly accepted insemination from an unwashed, anencephalic hominid.

Or the ITMiB, who can be proud of their many achievements.

John Pickworth said...

Lewisham62 says... .. Is that not a racist statement? I await the NS readers to decide.

At last, a real Troll. Not one of those comedy terrorist types recently blamed for everything by the media.

JuliaM said...

"..like a Nigerian on a vacated Barking council house..."

Hah! It's funny, because it's true..

"...one hopes he will produce a defence.."

I'd hope so, but he's more likely to (be told to) roll over...

"Don't the Caravan-using nomadic travellers usually "collect" all the metal (scrap or otherwise) they can find?"

Sadly, if only they made cans returnable for a fee...

" If they can't find something sensible to complain about, they look for excuses like this to do so. If they are, as they claim, offended by this, it's purely because they choose to be offended."

Spot on!