Friday 24 December 2010

Buddhism FAIL!

Ethan Race, 20, an award-winning film-maker who was given a £3,000 bursary by the BBC (Ed: Yeah, shocker, right..?), was among suspects pictured in a police line-up this week.

He is one of at least seven wanted for questioning over the disorder at the tuition fees protest on December 9.

Speaking to the Standard, Mr Race, 20, a Middlesex University film student, said he was amused that police wanted to talk to him, describing himself as a peace-loving Buddhist.
Oh, clearly, this must be all a horrible mistake then, because Buddhists don't believe in aggression, right?
He said he found himself pushed to the front line after a police horse charge near Parliament Square, where officers “lashed out” at him several times with batons. “I was perfectly happy with that,” he said. “I feel I need to be at the front to take their s**t. I like to be antagonistic towards them because I disagree with the fascistic system by which the police are managed.
Ah. Better read up on Buddhism again on Wikipedia, Ethan...

6 comments:

Richard said...

Aw, be nice to him, Julia. He might be an "award-winning film-maker" but he's only 20. Barely out of nappies. I didn't know jack shit and went around saying stupid stuff when I was 20. Difference was, no-one took the slightest notice then.

Slightly off-topic, but a lot of them seem to be "award-winning film-makers" or "journalists and activists", as if this ranks them along with David Attenborough or John Pilger. If you look at their ages, and their likely life experiences, the award will have been for a Year 10 media project, and the journalism on the school newspaper.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like all those Moose-slim drunk drivers I dealt with, their defence being they weren't drunk because as Moose-slims they weren't allowed to drink!

banned said...

To be fair, apart from his shallow Buddhism and the silliness of his views it seems to me that Ethan is being picked on by the police simply because they have a good photo of him.

There is a right to peaseful protest in this country which the Police seem hell bent on destroying with their "do as we say because we say so" attitude.

Anonymous said...

There are, amazingly, militant Buddhists. Sri Lanka has a sect. One might have more faith in this surveillance if the cops ever identified their own as culpable in these situations. They'd be the ones without halos, perhaps.
The famous protesters from '68 all became bureaucrats. I hold out little better hope of this lot.

JuliaM said...

"...he's only 20. Barely out of nappies. I didn't know jack shit and went around saying stupid stuff when I was 20."

True enough! God knows, I'm glad I didn't have a blog at twenty... ;)

"...it seems to me that Ethan is being picked on by the police simply because they have a good photo of him."

It does seem a little flimsy, but maybe they are after usable info on some of the other riot attendees?

"The famous protesters from '68 all became bureaucrats. I hold out little better hope of this lot."

More budding Peter Hains...? *shudder*

Richard said...

"I'm glad I didn't have a blog at twenty... ;)"

My blood ran cold just reading that. A level of decent obscurity is only right when you are young and foolish.