Wednesday 29 December 2010

Quote Of The Month

Longrider on 'respect':
"... when I see people being accused of being in contempt of court, my reaction is all too often that the courts are deserving of contempt. Respect has to be earned, it is not a gift given freely – or, at least, it shouldn’t be. I do not expect people to automatically respect me, just as I do not expect them to respect my views or beliefs. Likewise, I do not expect them to demand that I respect theirs. I will always respect and defend robustly, peoples’ right to freely hold their beliefs and opinions and to voice them openly, no matter how much I may disagree with them, but I do not have to respect the opinions themselves and will not be coerced into assuming a patina of such."

6 comments:

Richard said...

Although I agree fully with LR's sentiments here, I think he's missed a slight subtlety. You don't respect a court because the court has earned it, you respect it because it represents the rule of law. A bit like saluting the rank, not the man. As far as opinions or religions go, I think respect should be given - not necessarily for what people believe, but for their right to believe what you wish. That is the last right that can ever be taken from us (and the Righteous are trying hard to do that already).

Lurkio said...

...(and the Righteous are trying hard to do that already)

Surely the "Lefteous" ?

Jiks said...

The Left use doublespeak so much they confuse themselves and hence believe themselves Righteous.

Longrider said...

Ta for the link.

Richard, I haven't missed the subtlety - the courts have lost any right to respect. They no longer represent the rule of law, unfortunately.

Anonymous said...

(Judges running) Courts demand 'respect' because by enforcing deference they reinforce the authority of the Court over anyone who enters it.

Similarly, anyone who doesn't dance around the Judge's idea of deference will face a contempt of court charge.

I have limited experience of being in Court (& never as The Accused) but I prefer the attitude that US judges appear to take - that defendants/witnesses acknowledge authority but not give craven deference. I also seem to remember that Benjamin Franklin rejected the idea of wigs in Court, rightly IMO.

JuliaM said...

"...I think respect should be given - not necessarily for what people believe, but for their right to believe what you wish. That is the last right that can ever be taken from us (and the Righteous are trying hard to do that already)."

Good point!

"...I prefer the attitude that US judges appear to take - that defendants/witnesses acknowledge authority but not give craven deference."

A reflection of the different social circumstances leading to the 'birth' of the US, perhaps?