Monday 6 December 2010

Just Not Getting It...

A motorist who crashed into another car, killing the driver, after speeding through a red light on the wrong side of the road has been jailed for six years.
Nice chap! What does he do for a livi...

Oh:
Fernandez-Dinan, a railway safety officer
Based at Potter's Bar, presumably?
John Williams, prosecuting, told the court: “He accelerated through a red light on the wrong side of the road at considerable speed.”

But during the trial, father-of-one Fernandez-Dinan claimed the traffic lights had been faulty and had suddenly changed from green to red as he approached.

He said after overtaking another vehicle, he did not have time to stop when the lights suddenly changed, so he accelerated to try to get through the crossroads before side-on traffic reached the junction.
Because that's the sensible, safe thing to do, right?
Before being sentenced, Fernandez-Dinan told News Shopper: “I am extremely sorry for what happened.

If I had braked, I could have avoided it.

He added: “ Going to prison is just so wrong.

“I was not prepared to plead guilty because I’m not guilty.

“The way it came across from the prosecution was totally out of order.”
*speechless*
Fernandez-Dinan was also banned from driving for five years and the judge told him he must serve at least half of his prison term before being released.
*speechless again*

I would say that's one of the most tasteless things anyone could say, having been convicted of such a crime. But then I saw this...

4 comments:

microdave said...

"Fernandez-Dinan" - A good old Anglo-Saxon name.

Overtaking whilst approaching traffic lights??? - Oh, I forgot, trains can't do that, can they...

Longrider said...

They do occasionally run red lights...

Red used to mean stop, once said...

"The way it came across from the prosecution was totally out of order."

So, they presented the second part of the case first?

'The way it came across it made it sound like my fault and I deserve to go down for my reckless act' might have been another way of putting it.

JuliaM said...

"'The way it came across it made it sound like my fault and I deserve to go down for my reckless act' might have been another way of putting it."

Spot on!