Tuesday 2 August 2011

Medical Curiosities...

Nicole Froggett, from Coventry, tried using sunbeds and spray tans but they didn't work for her.

"I'm very, very pale," she said. "It takes me a long time to tan if I'm on holiday."

Her friend recommended Ubertan and the first time Nicole tried it she had some side effects.

"You feel a bit dizzy and you get a head rush like you've had your first cigarette of the day," she said.

"I started to feel sick, but it wore off after two hours."
And what’s in this ‘Ubertan’..?
The box has instructions on how to use Ubertan, which involve spraying the product up your nostrils twice a day for 10 to 14 days.

However, both the box and bottle do not have an ingredients list.
*gulp*
Claire Tilstone, from the MHRA, is worried that users will suffer serious side effects.

She said: "Ubertan or any other nasal tanning spray hasn't undergone testing to show it's safe or that it even works.

"At best it's a waste of money, at worse it can seriously damage your health.

"Don't use this product, throw it away if you have already bought it and don't buy any more."
Wise advice. Will Nicole heed it?
Nicole bought Ubertan from her local tanning salon.

She is worried about the contents but will continue to use it until there's proof that it is unsafe.

"I didn't know anything about it when I first took it, so I wasn't worried at all. I didn't even think about it really," she admitted.

"This is the best tan I have had.

"This is my last bottle now and maybe in a couple of months, I may get another one."
It walks, it talks, it sprays unknown substances up its nose and yet it has not one single functioning braincell!

Medical history has been made!

6 comments:

Bronzed Goddess said...

The best tan ever.

She may look good in her coffin, all healthy and glowing and, er, dead.

Angry Exile said...

It walks, it talks, it sprays unknown substances up its nose and yet it has not one single functioning braincell!

I suspect some kind of colonial organism related to sponges. Has anyone tried pushing it through a sieve and then leaving it in a tank of Wkd to see if it reforms? More research is needed, grant cheques to the usual address please.

Gallovidian said...

White people are more attractive as we are.

Zaphod said...

But is it more foolish than skiing down an escalator?

Crazy people, in moderation, make life interesting. And we need them.

How did we discover what was safe before we invented the pharmaceutical industry? Who checked which mushrooms were edible? Did Orville and Wilbur do a risk assessment? How can fire be controlled? Can wolves be tamed? Is there another island over the horizon that I can reach in my sailboat, before my water runs out?

The list is endless. We are all descended from risk-takers, except a few stick-in-the-muds who are still in Ethopia, where it's safe.

Mick Turatian said...

in Ethopia, where it's safe

You think?

With Geldorf and Bono on the prowl and BBC famine hunters on hunger safari?

JuliaM said...

"Has anyone tried pushing it through a sieve.."

I'd be willing to give it a try. Anyone got a sieve? And a bulldozer?

"Crazy people, in moderation, make life interesting. And we need them."

So long as it's their own skin they are endangering, I guess we do. They make good blogposts, and the Darwin Award judges need something to do.. ;)