Sunday 11 September 2011

Ooooh, Easy On That Strong Condemnation, There, Officer!

A nine-year-old boy was left with serious injuries after he was attacked by a dog as he played with a friend in woodland in Leeds.

Police are now hunting the owner, who walked away as the boy lay with a broken wrist and injuries to his face in woodland in Middleton.
Charming!
The dogs, which were not on leads, ran towards the boy and attacked him. The man intervened but then walked off out of the woods and is not believed to have contacted the emergency services.
It seems the police don’t want to be too condemnatory, after all, children getting savaged by uncontrolled dogs, well, it’s not quite as bad as golliwog displays or humorous dummies of Middle Eastern leaders, is it?
Acting Detective Inspector Richard Stead, of City and Holbeck CID, said: “This is a very worrying incident where a young boy has suffered serious injuries. On face value, the actions of the man walking the dogs appear to be very callous, as he has not tried to get help.”
But on the other hand, he might have a cultural reason for letting a kid scream in agony from the wounds his animals inflicted.

Who really knows? We don’t like to judge…

5 comments:

Gallovidian said...

I am one of those bad racist people you hear about, but I must confess that some of the things I read on your blog Julia make me despair of the white race as well.

Budvar said...

I may be missing the point here, but for the life of me I can't see any racial overtones to the story.

Unless the kids had something of a dark hue to them, (Middleton is pretty much an all white "Chav" area) I suspect not as if this were the case it would have been shouted from the rooftops.

I'm in no way defending the actions of the dogs owner (it's indefensible), but we don't know why the dogs attacked, I'd be surprised if they did so on owners command, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility, but if that was the case, I'm sure it would've been mentioned.

Tattyfalarr said...

Budvar - "I can't see any racial overtones to the story."

A cursory scan of this story reports a specific skin colour for the dog owner but none whatsoever for the child. This appears to be example of a now classic media trait...accusation of racism by omission.

Tattyfalarr said...

Just to add....as if leaving a child of any colour lying screaming and injured by your own dogs wasn't bad enough.

*o/t but worth a mention...security word is "raxism"...heh

JuliaM said...

"I may be missing the point here, but for the life of me I can't see any racial overtones to the story."

There are none. It's just the fact that the police fail to condemn the actions of the man. Once, they would have done.

What's changed?

"*o/t but worth a mention...security word is "raxism"...heh"

God, that's spooky!