Sunday 25 September 2011

Suddenly That Puzzling News Item The Other Day…

…might not be so puzzling after all:
Tower Hamlets Council has launched a code of practice to reduce touting, where staff approach by-passers, often aggressively, to get their custom.

Restaurants are asked to agree not to use touts to drum up business or allow them to make false claims about offers.
Well, well, well. Was that what it was all about then?
It is part of a drive to improve Brick Lane ahead of next year when it is the London 2012 Curry Capital.
Just in time for the Olympics!

8 comments:

Madras said...

London Curry capital? 2012 Olympics?

Ah, I get it... it's the runs and the runs, if you see what I mean.

Mrs Erdleigh said...

Just what we need, curry chuggers. :-(

Captain Haddock said...

Phall ... the sprinters choice ... ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phall

SBC said...

Earth, Wind and Fire.

Edwin Greenwood said...

From the linked BBC report:

It follows an anti-touting by-law in the borough aimed at touts, which was introduced in 2006.

I'm intrigued. So presumably there are anti-touting by-laws which are not aimed at touts, are there?


WV: nosses: sounds like a good word for BBC subeditors — a right bunch of nosses.

Furor Teutonicus said...

XX It is part of a drive to improve Brick Lane XX

Try something around 30 Megatonnes.

The principal worked for Hiroshima.

Woman on a Raft said...

Cheek! Brick Lane is not the Curry Capital.

Although Bradford could probably claim the crown, I would back the unlikely contender of Stoke on Trent.

JuliaM said...

"Ah, I get it... it's the runs and the runs, if you see what I mean."

LOL!

"Just what we need, curry chuggers."

It's a long time since I went to Brick Lane for a curry, but I remember the touts. None were what I'd call aggressive, though.

"I'm intrigued. So presumably there are anti-touting by-laws which are not aimed at touts, are there?"

LOL! The dumbing-down continues apace.

"Although Bradford could probably claim the crown, I would back the unlikely contender of Stoke on Trent."

Really? Intriguing!