Tuesday 9 April 2013

The Biter Bit…

Met Police PCSO Curt Capell was horrified to return from having his haircut to discover a penalty charge notice slapped on his car’s windscreen in Oaklands Car Park, Bexleyheath. The 28-year-old, of Wessex Drive, Slade Green, said: "I told him it says free parking and showed him the sign.
"I asked the officer to cancel but he said I would have to contest it because ‘my boss has told me to do it and I’ll get sacked if I do’.
"Is this what the country is coming to?"
Ooooh, jobsworths! Unable to listen to reason, going only 'by the book'. Bet you don't see a lot of that in your day job, eh?
Meanwhile, over in Sidcup chaos broke out in Main Road Car Park as two parking wardens slapped fines on unsuspecting motorists’ cars.
John Coleman arrived with his two sons around noon and said he was told by the attendant: "We know it’s free, but we want you to dispute the ticket directly with the council after we issue it and you will then not pay."
The 35-year-old, of Carlton Road, Welling, said this infuriated the crowds of people gathered next to the machine and that police officers arrived to ease tensions.
Does that ever happen? Or does it just raise the overall temperature?
A Bexley Council spokeswoman said: “We sincerely apologise to the four motorists who received Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs) in error on Good Friday and confirm that these have been cancelled to avoid further inconvenience for the affected motorists.
“We are in discussion with our contractor to prevent further similar instances from occurring in the future. ”
Perhaps hiring smarter contractors would help?

12 comments:

Woman on a Raft said...

he said I would have to contest it because ‘my boss has told me to do it and I’ll get sacked if I do’.

Take photos, identify as far as possible - including references to date and time at which parking is free - and make it clear that the next step is the police station where a statement alleging fraud will be laid against him, personally. You cannot evade the law by saying someone ordered you to issue false documents.

Issuing false documents in an effort to get money fits within the scope of fraud.

Give him the name of the nearest employment tribunal and advise that if he is sacked, it might be the best thing since he will be in line for a nice fat compo claim. You cannot sack someone for refusing to carry out a fraud.

I'm assuming they were just trying it on during free periods to see if they could get the unwary to pay up.

Woodsy42 said...

Are these 'contractors' maybe paid on the basis of how many notices they issue - rather than on the basis of now many valid ones?

Dr Evil said...

They shouldn't use contractors. You know why? Because all council carparks should be free. How otherwise will they encourage shoppers into the highstreet? It is malevolent parking charges and equally malevolent parking attendants plus the anti car political stance that's killing retail in the towns and cities.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Dr Evil.

Charges are killing towns and councils are making huge amount of cash which the public generally don't see, so I think it's time for the coucils to help traders.

There is a big need for rural areas to stop their car parking charges to help the small traders. A lot of people don't bother going to small towns any more because most of the car parks now charge.

Bad councils. Slappy on botties.

Feral.

Anonymous said...

O/T ...is it me? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2306281/Harry-Harper-death-Placid-Jack-Russell-fatally-bit-baby-head-curled-carry-cot.html

Anonymous said...

O/T.

"The left have to accept there are some on the dole that don't want to work....."

Yes, you are damn right there are. Thre are also a lot of scared individuals that can't work that are living in fear of the cuts.

There are also a damn lot of greedy bastards that care about no one except themselves and how thy can gain money, control and power.

Get job centres back to the way they were meant to be. Get secure jobs back up and running. Get people motivated. Help people!

Now what the bloody hell are you prepared to do?!

Feral.

Anonymous said...

Just re-read something regarding the views of a certain 2 people in Milibands party.

I will say this to you. There is a difference between scroungers and those in need. YOU are not to judge who they are. It is the people at job centres that are to decide. You will bloody well back your leader and do right by people. Your leader will be going far and helping a damn lot of people. If you split hairs and do not back Miliband, then you will be out on your ear.

If you want to be destructive of what needs to be built in this country, then join the bloody conservative party.

I think that's all for now.

Feral.

Anonymous said...

"I think that's all for now" IF ONLY.
You see Feral your first comment on here was on topic and not about you.Then you went all me me me as usual.
Jaded

JuliaM said...

"Issuing false documents in an effort to get money fits within the scope of fraud."

Ah, if only he'd tried it on a real policeman... ;)

"Are these 'contractors' maybe paid on the basis of how many notices they issue.."

Could well be. Bad contract writing if so!

"Because all council carparks should be free."

Haven't we - like parks and public toilets - already paid for them with council tax?

"O/T ...is it me?"

Chavs... :/

JuliaM said...

"If you want to be destructive of what needs to be built in this country, then join the bloody conservative party. "

Given the very little difference that seems to now exist between it and the other parties, I might agree with you there.

Anonymous said...

Yes well - tough Jaded.

Speaking about me, if anyone has any clout, fine SSE again as thay are still trying to overcharge me. They will NOT put the bills back into my name as they want to refund my ex and are demanding a meter reading 'to sort the matter'. If the bills aren't in my name, they will do exactly the same. They say they can't do anything about the lost £600 and they want to bloody well do it again! British Gas are now trying to do the same thing.

The wanker that calls himself Nick Herbert is wasted as an MP with his manipulation and cruelty. Perhaps he ought to join a company like G4S or something .......

Feral.

Anonymous said...

Beyond parody!.
Me me me me me me me.We are all fascinated with every tiny detail of your life.
Jaded