Wednesday 24 April 2013

Wish I Could Say I Was Surprised…

…but if you will flaunt your total lack of concern for other road users and residents, what do you expect?
Organisers of UK Cycling’s New Forest Spring Sportive were forced to take drastic action at the start of the two-day event when the participants were put in jeopardy by the reckless actions of the vandals.
Marshals had to sweep up the tacks off the road in Boldre – but some tyres were still punctured. And event organisers also found that more than 1,000 direction and safety signs had been removed or defaced, forcing safety teams to replace them before the 1,850 cyclists set off.
Even the weather set its face against the two-wheeled menace:
Heavy rain added to the organisers’ problems, forcing them to cancel the second day as the hosting field in Brockenhurst became waterlogged.
You’d have to have a heart of stone, wouldn't you? Luckily, I do.
Martin Barden, director of UK Cycling, said there were no injuries but he was “appalled” at the action of the vandals.
He said: “A small minority of people have taken to vigilante lengths to stop the events. Their behaviour is unacceptable. “
And yet your behaviour is also deemed ‘unacceptable’ by, well, rather more people:
The event had attracted criticism in the week leading up to it, with some residents of the New Forest claiming that cyclists were an increasing nuisance as they flocked to the park to enjoy its breathtaking views.
Mr Barden said that the number of participants had been kept low out of respect to those living there.
“We could have had 10,000 people here but we reduced the figures. We did it consciously to be considerate to the local residents. The same courtesy has not been extended the other way, in some parts,” he added.
Yes, well, claiming that you only inflicted a mild beating instead of the more violent one you could have inflicted isn't the best way to endear yourself to the residents, now is it?
Before the weekend’s event, a spokesman for the New Forest Equestrian Association said that there was a big risk to horses and riders from such events, especially when cyclists came up quickly and silently from behind.
Train your horses to kick. That should solve it.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

"more than 1,000 direction and safety signs had been removed or defaced"

Well, I deplore casual acts of vandalism, but I have to have a grudging respect for any group which is organised enough to remove or deface that many signs in a fairly short space of time.

Anonymous said...

Fucking cyclists, such arrogant and increasingly shrill group...and yet so many are drivers but once that lycra is stretched on and the helmet in place that selfish mentality and self righteousness overtakes them

MTG said...

I can barely wait to pull on my new lycra, Julia. Remained unopened since Xmas, it has.

Anonymous said...

Melv,
I'd just had my dinner when I read that. Long may it remain in the plastic bag. In fact, why don't you climb in after it and do us all a favour!
Penseivat

drsolly said...

Oddly enough, we cyclists see you motorists as arrogant and dangerous. Actually, it's only a very tiny minority of motorists that are a menace. But, of course, it only takes one. And when a car and a bicycle collide, guess who loses?

Yes, I wear a helmet. I think I'd be daft not to. But I don't wear lycra.

When I'm in a car, I approach cyclists carefully, and give them a lot of wobble space when I overtake, and most drivers do the same. But a few bad drivers shoot past with almost no clearance,


Jiks said...

So at least one guy ended up in hospital with a broken collar bone due to the tacks and this is good I guess?

One would have thought the boost to local businesses would make events like this welcome but it seems not.

Then you advocate using horses as a weapon … honestly Julia, posts like this are why I rarely visit your site these days.

MTG said...

@ Penise

I express surprise to be spared plod wishes for a 'painful and degrading death' as advocated by your colleague, Government Thug.

Oh hang on...that manner of going is reserved to police allies and major patrons, nicht wahr?

drsolly said...

"Train your horses to kick. That should solve it." Well, sort of. It'll lead to the horse being put down when it lashes out at any passing human.

I'm often out on my bike, and quite often, when I encounter a horse, it acts very spooked at the sight of a bicycle. Sometimes the rider has to take several minutes just getting the horse under control, so scared is the horse by the sight of me on my bike. I have no idea why - surely bikes are a common sight on bridleways and roads?

And why, by the way, are horse riders allowed to leave huge piles of horse dung on the road while dog owners are fined for the same thing?

And dogs; I've been told by dog owners that the dog is barking at me and acting aggressively because I'm wearing a helmet. No, actually. I know why their dog is so badly behaved - it's because Mr Owner hasn't trained it. So many dogs have learned that a firm "No!" from their owner means nothng whatsoever and is never enforced.

Anonymous said...

Melv,
Methinks thou dost protest too much. No one said you should seal the bag after climbing in. Having seen the effects of someone in that predicament, even though it may enhance your looks, will do nothing for your prose. The fact that you are 'bagged up' is enough for me.
Penseivat

JuliaM said...

"...but I have to have a grudging respect for any group which is organised enough to remove or deface that many signs in a fairly short space of time."

It does sound suspiciously like a bit of over-egging the pudding, doesn't it?

"And when a car and a bicycle collide, guess who loses?"

And yet, it doesn't stop cyclists taking stupid risks like diving up the inside of skip lorries turning left. Or shooting red lights.

"...honestly Julia, posts like this are why I rarely visit your site these days."

Well, good to know it's not the moderation...

But, hey, if everybody agreed 100% with everything I wrote, I'd know I was wrong!

"...and quite often, when I encounter a horse, it acts very spooked at the sight of a bicycle."

Don't take it personally - that's just horses!

The horse-dung question is often asked - it's because, unlike dog poo, it has no unpleasant diseases potentially lurking in it.

MTG said...

"The horse-dung question is often asked - it's because, unlike dog poo, it has no unpleasant diseases potentially lurking in it."

A significant distinction separates 'no unpleasant diseases potentially lurking in it' and a low prevalence of human pathogens.

Try getting out more to escape cut and paste blogging, JuliaM. It's the only therapy for a non-scientific nag spooked by cyclists.