Thursday 29 March 2012

There Should Be A Law Against I…. Oh!

Alex Stewart, 38, jumped at the chance to apply for a job at Clacton’s 99p Store when he saw a sign in the window.
But Mr Stewart, of Bluehouse Avenue, Clacton, said he was told not to bother applying because females were needed to fill vacancies for part-time assistants.
And, ignoring the fact this is illegal, what reason did he give?
“I went in optimistically and the cashier called the manager, so I could talk to him about the position.

“When he arrived, I started explaining why I was there.

“But he cut me short and told me the work was only available for girls, as it involved being on a till.”




Nope. Me neither!
A store spokesman said: “We are looking into this as a matter of priority. We have a strict equal opportunities employment policy at all our branches. Any manager found to have breached that policy would face severe disciplinary action.
Ooooh! ‘Severe’. I wonder what that means?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having seen the 99p STore Management nationally and locally I can only presume it's a cultural ishoo.

Sniper said...

Loss of Staff Discount?

Quiet_Man said...

Severe = written warning, unless the bad publicity continues then it moves up to the next level.

Hexe Froschbein said...

Female only? NP. Alinsky them...

Ask again, this time with camera/mp3 player running whilst cross-dressed, and your problem solved either way.

Either you get the job, and if you then sue them.

JuliaM said...

"Having seen the 99p STore Management nationally and locally I can only presume it's a cultural ishoo."

I did wonder...

"Ask again, this time with camera/mp3 player running whilst cross-dressed, and your problem solved either way."

In this day and age, people should be very circumspect in sating anything. You never know who has their phone set to 'record' in their pocket!