Saturday 5 July 2008

What Isn't Thatcherism To Blame For...?

...because it seems knife crime is the latest thing:
The singer said he worries for the safety of his own young children growing up in a country where stabbings are increasingly frequent.

"It's horrible. It's not just in London, I was up in Liverpool the other day and it's the same there.

"The scumbags are taking over the streets" he said.

"I don't know what David Cameron and Gordon Brown are going to do about it.

"It all goes back to the Thatcher years. It sounds like a cliché but that's when the rot set in."

He added: "me and the Missus sit up and talk about it at night, about how our kids are going to grow up. I don't know what you can do.

"Kids are so de-sensitised to it. It's really scary how it's all changed.

"In my day, status was about trying to be somebody - now it's about trying to kill somebody."
Oh, I remember the Thatcher Years - the miner's strikes, the stabbings, the Iranian Embassy siege, the ERM crisis, the stabbings, the Falklands War, the stabbings, Broadwater Farm riot, the stabbings.... (some of that may not be true).

I know what you can do, Mr Gallagher, for starters - stop asking fifth-rate warblers their political opinions and stop treating them with any more weight than your average person on the street. How about that..?

4 comments:

Longrider said...

It sounds like a cliché

That's because it is a cliché.

Fifth rate, eh? That good?

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm giving him a relatively high score because I've actually heard of his band... ;)

Longrider said...

So have - and fervently wish that I hadn't.

John M Ward said...

This "Thatcher is to blame" business was covered by Cranmer recently, in response to Gordon Brown making a similar claim. Worth a read!