Tuesday 28 January 2020

Owning A Dog Is A Responsibility

Speaking to the ECHO, the Bootle mum said: "We had two dogs, one who was over 15 years old but she died at around Christmas.
"I think Missi has been really missing them and wandered off from home.
"I didn't know where she was and missing over night. I was looking all over and couldn't sleep all night."
How does a 'beloved pet' just wander off...?
She added: "The wardens told me there would be a fee of £71 and then it would rise to £110.
"I lost my job at Christmas and I am on benefits, I get paid the 16th of every month.
"I told them about the situation and they just said this was the outstanding price and if I don't pay that it would go up to £110.
"I just think it is a joke you have to pay that much."
How much do you pay in food? In vet bills? In pet insurance?
Michael Sandells, 38, from Southport said he felt like he was being "held at ransom" and "punished because his dog did not have a collar on."
No, you are suffering the consequences of not complying with the requirements of owning a dog.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even a cat is expensive enough.

Ed P said...

There should be a song about it, perhaps something like, "Missi went missing in Mississippi"

Northish said...

No Mr Sandells, you don't get "paid" anything. You are generously given money that has been taken from others. Often people can't afford the luxury of a dog, or would like one but think it would be unfair on the animal because they are out at work all day.

JuliaM said...

"Even a cat is expensive enough."

You're not wrong!

"No Mr Sandells, you don't get "paid" anything. You are generously given money that has been taken from others. "

He's not the only one to regard it as a 'wage'. It seems to be a common misconception. I would ask what he does for his 'wage' but I couldn't bear the look of baffled incomprehension.