Thursday 2 May 2024

This Is A Good Thing...

...not a mark of disaster.

The YouGov survey for the Department of Politics at Royal Holloway University of London found 24 per cent of Londoners aged 18 to 24 were not aware of this legal requirement for local and regional elections in England and at the general election.

Because frankly, if they are so incurious as to have ignored all the adverts, the posters (one went up in my Tube station last week) and the mailshots, not to mention all the MSM and social media campaigns, then they are people who shouldn't deserve a vote, and if they are turned away, it can only improve society. 

This compares to four per cent of Londoners aged 65 and over having this lack of awareness about the need for photo ID, seven per cent for 50 to 64-year-olds, and 13 per cent for the 25-49 age group.

And these will have been people voting without it for most of their lives. They've managed. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?  

5 comments:

ivan said...

Out of curiosity, having left the UK 30 odd years ago, what do they class as a photo id beside a passport?

Anonymous said...

Driving licence is the most obvious one, now looks like a credit card with a small photo on it.

Stonyground.

Judd said...

I avoid the msm and social media like the plague so knew nothing about this requirement, so thanks for the heads up.

Presumably the barely decipherable pic on my driving licence will suffice, no passport and no intention of getting one.

Anonymous said...

As I don't currently have a driving licence, or passport, my local polling station accepted my bus pass, which has a photo (of me, not the bus). However, when I looked at the list of candidates, many of whom I know, I wrote "None of the above numpties" on the card. Should have stayed in bed, really.
Penseivat

JuliaM said...

"... what do they class as a photo id beside a passport?"

As Stony points out, the photo type driving license (I still have the old paper type), and any of these:

a PASS card (National Proof of Age Standards Scheme)
a Blue Badge
a biometric residence permit (BRP)
a Defence Identity Card (MOD form 90)
a national identity card issued by the EU, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein
a Northern Ireland Electoral Identity Card
a Voter Authority Certificate
an Anonymous Elector’s Document

"Presumably the barely decipherable pic on my driving licence will suffice"

I hope it did!

"...my local polling station accepted my bus pass, which has a photo (of me, not the bus). "

🤣