Monday 25 July 2022

But It Was Your Only Good Song, Pat...

Singer Pat Benatar said she will stop performing her song Hit Me With Your Best Shot in light of...

Eh..? 

...recent mass shootings in the US.

Well, that just leaves 'Love Is A Battlefield' ... until someone has a word with you about that whole situation in the Ukraine, eh? 

“Fans are having a heart attack and I’m like, I’m sorry,” Benatar, who is in the middle of a US summer tour, said. “I tell them, if you want to hear the song, go home and listen to it. [The title] is tongue-in-cheek, but you have to draw the line.”
“I can’t say those words out loud with a smile on my face, I just can’t. I’m not going to go on stage and soapbox – I go to my legislators – but that’s my small contribution to protesting,” Benatar said. “I’m not going to sing it. Tough.

I guess fans might as well just stay home altogether. The sound's better, it's cheaper and you've got enough money, right, Pat? 

4 comments:

James Higham said...

😳🤣

John Tee said...

Ye gods is she still touring? Presumably she needs a bit of publicity.

Curious though. She was evidently not much bothered about the lines that would seem to be encouraging violence against women ("Knock me down it's all in vain" and "Put up you dukes, let's get down to it".) It has never occurred to me that anyone in the world would take the phrase "Hit me with your best shot" as a reference to firearms, or even to physically hitting. "Hit me with your best shot" or "Give it your best shot" just mean do your best. A shot is an attempt. And "Fire away" means "Start asking questions."

Unless of course you're woke and searching desperately for something to be offended by.

Stonyground said...

"Unless of course you're woke and searching desperately for something to be offended by."

In this case by taking something literally when it is obviously a metaphor. The converse being seeing metaphors that aren't there when the literal interpretation isn't offensive at all.

JuliaM said...

"Ye gods is she still touring? Presumably she needs a bit of publicity."

And the money.

"... taking something literally when it is obviously a metaphor."

I wonder if she understands that term?