Wednesday 15 July 2020

Why Should They Do Business With Stores That Treat Them As Biohazards?

Ocado's boss today claimed that lockdown means shoppers 'won't be going back' to rivals' stores as the online retailer's half-year sales smashed through the £1billion barrier for the first time.
...
Some consumer experts believe Boris Johnson's plans to make masks compulsory in shops could force more people online.
Well, yes! Of course. Why would you go to a store that treats you like a potential disease carrier when their own staff can be treated normally, and don't need to wear masks?
Britain's grocers are gearing up for a massive price war amidst fears unemployment could rise above four million.
Perhaps they can switch to delivery driver/store picker instead?
Next week Chancellor Rishi Sunak will deliver his plan for rebooting the UK economy.
Opposition leader Sir Keir Starmer called it the 'last chance to save hundreds of thousands of jobs'.
What are we supposed to be saving them for...? So the establishment can treat you like medieval serfs?

5 comments:

UsedtobeBanned said...

Next Thursday I will do a bigger shop than usual to allow a few days before doing so again. Then I will allow time to be rebuffed as mask deficient until I find the store that does not refuse me. They will be getting all my custom for the foreseeable future.

Feral said...

I think more people are going to shop online now and for the foreseeable future. No one is going to take a day to browse through the town having to wear a mask for hours on end. People where I am are still avoiding the town centre. It's going to be a while until things get back to normal. Here's hoping.

Anonymous said...

Why would I brave the town centre with its pavement cycling prats, beggars, drunks, absentee police and high parking charges when I can get everything I want or need online? I get far more choice and even when I have to pay carriage it almost always cheaper plus there is minimal risk of confrontation or infection, SIMPLES :-). The high street will have to raise its a game a long way before it sees me again.

JuliaM said...

"Then I will allow time to be rebuffed as mask deficient until I find the store that does not refuse me. "

No-one appears to be refusing them. Have seen two non-mask wearers get served with no questions asked.

"I think more people are going to shop online now and for the foreseeable future."

Just like working from home. Although The Bungler wants everyone back in London to keep TfL and Starbucks solvent... *rolls eyes*

"The high street will have to raise its a game a long way before it sees me again."

It seems they've decided to twist government's arm to force you all back instead... :(

Scrobs. said...

Tunbridge Wells 'High Streets'were dying long before the covid stuff arrived.

The actual 'High Street' has a few different shops, all hugely expensive, while the shopping bits where Boots and MandS are, have become just awful now, as nobody except a few Roma chuggers and sundry, ugly skateboarding kids ever go there.

Anyway, Senora O'Blene and I caught the raging s***s the last time we had lunch there, so that'll never happen again either!

Maidstone went that way years ago, so the awful councillors in TW need to share their single brain cell a little more and decide that they still don't have a clue what to do with the most prime of sites in the South East - the old cinema - looking like a festering, rotten tooth for another twenty years!